• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4890... DDR5 or GDDR5... Same or different?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

Looking at 4890s, I'm seeing the memory listed differently on them. Like this comparison. One lists it as 1gb GDDR5, and the other lists it as 1gb DDR5. I know the "G" just stands for "Graphics", but I just want to make sure they're the same thing, just listed differently on a website. Thanks.

Looking at 4890s, I'm seeing the memory listed differently on them. Like this comparison. One lists it as 1gb GDDR5, and the other lists it as 1gb DDR5. I know the "G" just stands for "Graphics", but I just want to make sure they're the same thing, just listed differently on a website. Thanks.

yep they meant the same thing (GDDR5), maybe type-o

Last edited:
They mistakenly labeled it DDR5. There is a big difference between DDR5 and GDDR5.

I bet DDR5 exists, it just isn't used in anything mainstream.

The G stands for Graphics (used to be a V, for video, in VRAM), it means essentially that there are two ports on the memory instead of one, which means that on one clock cycle it and both read and write to the ram. DDR and such you can read or write.

You aren't going to find a 48xx with DDR though.

I bet DDR5 exists, it just isn't used in anything mainstream.

The G stands for Graphics (used to be a V, for video, in VRAM), it means essentially that there are two ports on the memory instead of one, which means that on one clock cycle it and both read and write to the ram. DDR and such you can read or write

There is a lot of confusion about this. DDR4 is currently being designed and is supposed to be out 3 years from now. DDR5 isn't even on the roadmap. While the separate read/write pins are a feature of GDDR3, 4, and 5, there is a lot more to it than that. While GDDR3 is the successor to GDDR2, GDDR4 is the successor to GDDR3, and so on, the numbering is not homologous to any DDR designation. DDR2 memory is actually more advanced than GDDR2 memory, and DDR3 memory is more advanced than GDDR3 memory. Of course there will be some similarities between the two lines as memory technology progresses, but the G is not the graphics version of the desktop memory.

I'm more interested in memristance memory (search HP -> Memristor) and Quantum spintronic memory (search IBM -> racetrack memory).

Back