• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which PC music player do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
+0xff for foobar2000.

It works on everything!

Bash quote: (with stars used)
<@Fallaware> oh ****
<@Fallaware> apparently you can't select 3 gigs of mps and do "play in foobar"
<@Fallaware> I have like 10,000 instances of foobar running
<@Fallaware> holy ****ing ****.
<@Fallaware> I don't know what to do about this
<@Fallaware> except restart.
<@Fallaware> this has to be the best argument for foobar
<@Fallaware> 10000 instances does not cause significant slowdown.

VLC + Mplayer + windows media classic depending on video.

i use WMP cus it plays music and arranges it in order and can rip music. it works
i used media monkey and the free one u can not rip cds. I also tried foobar 2000 and did not like it.

I use VLC for movies.

Media Player Classic. The interface is simple and straight forward, not convoluted with a lot of pretty imagry and bells and whistles that make other players a ******* to work with.

If.. I was using Windows. I would use this. I am going to support why too. Not just I like it. While foobar is cool and all. It does not do a few things.

I can load real and quicklime. I can do all formats that other players can. Inclusive of my favorite open sauce containers.
Classic seems to be the hooker for media and just plays it. It does what you ask.
If I was to replace media player classic. It would be VLC.

*click - play*

I use VLC for video files, I'll give it a try for music.

The only reason I don't like Foobar 2000 is because the opening learning curve is so tough for your customizations and getting it the way you like.

Are there good pre-configurations for Foobar 2000 or do you still have to do a lot of your own customizing?

I use VLC for video files, I'll give it a try for music.

The only reason I don't like Foobar 2000 is because the opening learning curve is so tough for your customizations and getting it the way you like.

Are there good pre-configurations for Foobar 2000 or do you still have to do a lot of your own customizing?

there are a few simple pre-configurations that come stock with the program, if you want something more you can either make it yourself or there are downloable themes at http://guistyles.com/category/media-players-styles/foobar2000/

edit: heres a nice guide for installing themes http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t576549.html

Last edited:
I'm a Foobar 2000 convert. I used to use Winamp but it started to get to bogged down and it seemed like it needed an update every day.

Foobar 2000 with playlist tree and columns UI :). I have it on my server along with my music so i can run it from any PC on my network, but it seems to crash often on vista (just switched from XP a week ago).

I lke media monkey. I have used it for a long time until I recently got an Ipod. I like iTunes. For years I had sworn off all things apple but I am really liking the new version.

I used to use Winamp but it started to get to bogged down and it seemed like it needed an update every day.

Nail on the head for me, it's after winamp baggered me to upgrade it and I had to sift through all the garbage that they try and package with it, that I started this thread.

I wish every app would upgrade itself as well as firefox does, that upgrade process is just beautiful.

I just use wmp and media center. Family is kinda old school and does not like "new fangled contraptions"

Plays everything I need it too and does a good job of it. (even my youngest can select her own playlists in it..)

I did just install VLC player for watching a couple of vids on my test machine, it certainly does the job well. Once its an "in production" unit it will have CCCP installed and run WMP and Media center exclusively. Sharing is real easy on those as well :)

(*bing you have HTPC sharing video and music files would you like access to the library? Well yes I would thank you computer :) )

For music, foobar2000. Winamp 2.9x used to be my love, until it crashed alot and my favorite input plugins stopped updating.

For video and WAV files (looping) mplayer2, then mplayerc, then if it's really fussy to open... VLC (last resort.)

Winamp in Windows. Previously used Amarok, mpg321 and flac123, depending on whether I was in KDE or CLI, but have recently started using MPD instead.

Another vore for Winamp, I really like the way it organizes everything. It's really easy to navigate by artist, genre, etc and just drag songs to the playlist.

I use either Winamp or sometimes Windows Media Player if I don't happen to have Winamp installed.

I just converted to foobar2000 from wmp. I use wmp for a very long time and i just cant look past how slow it seems to be now any longer. So I switched and I couldn't be happier.

I stepped away from Winamp when AOL got their hands on them.

Currently just use the WMP that comes with Win7.

Back