• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which PC music player do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiggity

I've been using Winamp for years, but I'm wondering if there is something better out there now.

I don't really like iTunes and WMP has close to 0 functionality.

I've been using Winamp for years, but I'm wondering if there is something better out there now.

I don't really like iTunes and WMP has close to 0 functionality.

iTunes is pretty pointless and i resent Apple (mostly for stupid reasons) but i don't understand this problem that most people have with wmp. It's got a good interface and is very user friendly. Whenever my pc is on it's playing music so i used it ALOT and have no complaints about it. Why does everyone deride it so?

Media Player Classic. The interface is simple and straight forward, not convoluted with a lot of pretty imagry and bells and whistles that make other players a ******* to work with.

WMP11 with K-Lite Codec Pack ("Lots of Stuff" option plus tweaks to FFDshow). That's some good looking video and handles Dolby Digital to my A/V Pre-Pro just fine :) And VLC for any odd-ball stuff that WMP won't handle (pretty rare - mainly for "Preview Playing" torrents that are still in the process of downloading ;) )....

I do use iTunes to sync my iPod, and I do like the way iTunes handles podcast subscriptions.

:cool:

I am probably going to get pounced on for this, but I use itunes. I don't need anything special in my music playing so I just set the itunes toolbar on so I simply minimize itunes and it drops to the taskbar. To me, it plays music and I listen to music. I have no gripes.

I am probably going to get pounced on for this, but I use itunes. I don't need anything special in my music playing so I just set the itunes toolbar on so I simply minimize itunes and it drops to the taskbar. To me, it plays music and I listen to music. I have no gripes.

Well if you do we'll get jumped together. ;)

I use iTunes mainly and have just gotten into using XBMC and PLEX. Using iTunes/XBMC/PLEX to share libraries over multiple computers (and multiple programs) in the house is dead easy, the interface is clean and simple, cover-flow looks fantastic. Tried a few others, but nothing else worked as smooth, as simple, or as efficient for me.

- Blackstar

Probably nobody remembers Sonique, that one was my favorite. Had better quality than Winamp, and I only really care about sound quality when it comes to music player. But it was discontinued and overtime Winamp was improved. Nowadays just using Winamp. Also used DFX with it back when I had crappy speakers and crappy soundcard, it helps to improve audio quality on old hardware.

+1 for foobar2000

Although, for the longest time I have just been drag-dropping music to my mp3 player (sansa), but now I'd like to be able to manage playlists again, and foobar doesn't seem to support that :(

Probably nobody remembers Sonique, that one was my favorite. Had better quality than Winamp, and I only really care about sound quality when it comes to music player. But it was discontinued and overtime Winamp was improved. Nowadays just using Winamp. Also used DFX with it back when I had crappy speakers and crappy soundcard, it helps to improve audio quality on old hardware.

I remember using Sonique back in the day. Great proggy and easy to use. I too started using winamp when Sonique was discontinued.

Foobar2000 here. Plays just about anything, can be set up pretty much however you like without being forced to use crappy skins, just an all-around good player.

but now I'd like to be able to manage playlists again, and foobar doesn't seem to support that

Isn't it more that your Sansa doesn't support that? IIRC those things are kinda iffy with the standard M3U playlists, using a weird PLS or PLA format instead...

foobar 2000 most of the time for listening

Winamp for those trippy visualizations like Milk Drop when I want some full screen eye candy goodness while I listen.

VLC for video.

Last edited:
Back