• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux 9.04

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Check your connections and reboot it?

I had one leg on my 1 year old Corsair 750TX (or the GTX280 card, can't absolutely tell which), go bad after 2 months of GPU folding under Ubuntu.

It acted similarly - wouldn't boot at all once in a while, when it did it didn't recognize the monitor so it went into low-resolution graphics mode, etc.

Changing the leads into the GPU solved the problem immediately. My multi-meter measures the "bad" lead as 12.07 Volts. The good leads all measure 12.08 Volts.

Anyway, using different leads into the card, solved the problem. :cool:

You can't run GPU folding when your system doesn't recognize the card and have it's driver loaded right - I'm sure of that.

ill check that, when i went to try and start gpu2 after the graphics went bad it said bad or unrecognized driver also.

Ooo nice, what driver version are you using? If your not sure just type in nvidia-settings at a console.

when i try toinstall mono for hfm

Code:
bishop@bishop-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install mono
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package mono is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package mono has no installation candidate

I'm sorry it's it's mono-devel not mono for Ubuntu. I was going off gentoo, but quick google corrected me. Try that.

alright, un-installed the drivers and gave it another go, they installed fine but when i rebooted it gave my something about no monitor configuration or something, i think it doesnt like my kvm switch for soem reason. i tried running nvidia-xconfig but heres what i got

Code:
bishop@bishop-desktop:~$ nvidia-xconfig

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
                  Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a Driver
                  line.

ERROR: Unable to write to directory '/etc/X11'.

i tried findint it but it seems to not exist at all.
at this point im willing to give someone remote access to set it up for me cause im obviously doing something terribly wrong.

and heres hfm
Code:
bishop@bishop-desktop:~/hfm$ mono HFM.exe

** (HFM.exe:4675): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /home/bishop/hfm/HFM.exe could not be loaded:
     Assembly:   System.Windows.Forms    (assemblyref_index=0)
     Version:    2.0.0.0
     Public Key: b77a5c561934e089
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/home/bishop/hfm/).

** (HFM.exe:4675): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.

** (HFM.exe:4675): WARNING **: Missing method EnableVisualStyles in assembly /home/bishop/hfm/HFM.exe, type System.Windows.Forms.Application

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'

Unusual, I managed to get my rig GPU folding using only the Ubuntu drivers.
-> System --> Administration ---> Hardware driver
using the version 180 which is the only version I can see through there.

Then all I did was to ignore all the driver related commands from the guides... folding away all happally. :)

actually tried the normal ubuntu drivers also but there was some error with it downloading them that way. i want all the point linux has to offer but if this is what ill have to go through i think ill just put win7 on it.

The problem with Mono is that you need mono 2.4, but Ubuntu 9.4 only includes mono 2.0.

To get mono 2.4/later add
Code:
deb http://debian.meebey.net/ /
to your list of repositories. Then apt-get update and then apt-get mono-complete .

Shel, maybe you can help me with this one too... I'm trying to get the 2.4 package installed on Ubuntu 8.04. Is the above (http://debian.meebey.net/) still the same repo I should add?

I did and it sees the repo... but I get a warning about NO_PUBKEY as something can't find the GPG signature. Anyway, I see mono-complete in the Synaptic Package Manager, but when I try to mark it for installation it keeps telling me that there are dependencies and it's not going to install them... blah, blah, blah... "no install for you! :p

Then if I try via cli it just tells me "Invalid operation mono-complete".

i guess you guys can have this thread since im done with it, ubuntu 9.04 absolutely refuses to run anything i need for gpu folding. whoever said installing gpu folding on linux is as easy as on windows was talking out theyre a$$. no matter what i try and what instructions i follow it refuses to work.

Back