• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux 9.04

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark bishop

anybody folding in 9.04 yet? i just set it up on my 5000+ with 8800gt. so far the smp install is going fine but im having a little trouble with the gpu client, mainly the drivers, there arent any 9.04 drivers yet and it wouldnt install the drivers for 8.10.

ive got Voidn and GeneralMac on may tail and this is hopefully what will keep them off.

I am running Kubuntu 9.04 with the GPU client. If by no drivers available you are referring to the Nvidia CUDA drivers page? Just use the 8.10 drivers and toolkit. That page is always one Ubuntu version out of date but they always work with the latest version. You should just be able to get away with installing the restricted nvidia driver from the Ubuntu repos and just install the toolkit from the CUDA site.

running on 9.04. Not using the graphics card though. dunno why, just haven't set it up yet.

Ok yeah I remember why I am not running the GPU client. Stupid crap kept crashing X. Followed the instructions to the T.

X is always the first thing to crap out in Ubuntu, isn't it? Any problem and "There goes X, right into the crapper!". :p :p :p

I had great luck with that bit of instructions - running like a champ since May. (If you don't count a weird hardware problem which seems to be the PSU's fault).

There is *one* line I saw in the thread that had an error in it.

Problem is, I was nervous getting this to work - Linux compiles have never worked for me in the past - and I just didn't note it.

IIRC, the file name you are installing, is a more recent file. Check your download filename. I believe it's 180.31 or some such.

Let me know, if that doesn't work

I just checked, my package was 180.51. Yours may be even more recent.

well that guide was going good until i got a "cant run" on this
Code:

sudo sh ~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.29-pkg2.run

any ideas?

AFTER you enter this there is a lot of output which contains an error message. What is that message (or best: all the output).

The error is that the given text doesn't include the current filename of the package. Instead of ...180.29-pkg2.run, it now gives you ...180.51-pkg2.run

If you don't happen to notice that you're being given an updated version of the package, you'll get errors, and no joy!

And joy is good! :D

new problem, getting wine working was the biggest problem i had last time and now its confused me again.

please forgive my horrible drawing.

Attachments

• Screenshot-BF2S Forums - [Tutorial] Folding under Linux - Mozilla Firefox.png
    Screenshot-BF2S Forums - [Tutorial] Folding under Linux - Mozilla Firefox.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 127
didnt explain that to well there did I? i got wine installed but creating directories confused me, and what am i supposed to do with wine notepad? and for the wget box, do i enter that one line at a time or the whole thing.

didnt explain that to well there did I? i got wine installed but creating directories confused me, and what am i supposed to do with wine notepad? and for the wget box, do i enter that one line at a time or the whole thing.

The only directory I created and use (myself), is adak/gpu0. Anything else was created by the install script and/or programs.

I took that line as a single *long* wget command line. I didn't think it would work right, but it did. :)

I don't do anything with WINE notepad. I thought he included it so that when you clicked on WINE in the application pull down menu, it would show you at least one program, instead of just being empty.

You're starting to ask questions here, above my pay-grade. :D

alright, ill give it another go. most of my problems with ubuntu could be solved with simple windows analogies, whens somebody gonna make that complete guide for ubuntu from a windows users standpoint?

Back