• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silverstain

Registered
Do you need to use Windows XP with an Athlon XP processor? What about a Geforce3 card? I know its a stupid question, but i don't know the answer! If you do have to use XP, what other hardware requires XP?

The only stupid question is the one you don't know, don't ask, and then try to pretend you know!

Windows XP will run on any modern cpu, but in my opinion it is a resource hog- I much prefer 2000.

I think XP and 2000 are about the same as WinME (bad) and 98se(least bad version of Win9x.)

Pretty much all modern x86 software will run on any hardware as long as it has driver support. You can check manufacturers websites for info to make sure though- and that is always a good idea.

Welcome to the Forums, btw!

In answer to your original question, no you do not need to us Windows XP with and Athlon XP processor. You can use any x86 OS with the Athlon XP processor. If you want to use DOS though you better use /p with every command or it will scroll through a hundred pages before you could blink:D

Back