• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any motherboards that can actually set ram to 1.65v?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

My ex58-ud3r is annoying me a little. I can set the ram to 1.64 or 1.66 but not to the 1.65v it's actually rated to run at. Also, setting the ram to 1.64v puts it at 1.632 actual volts but when I put it to 1.66 it fluctuations randomly between 1.648 and 1.664. Dammit! Can any of your boards put out exactly 1.65v to your ram?

the board undervolts to just under 1.65 when set to 1.66, 1.67 is even fine.

no mobo is gonna give you exact voltage anyway, even the extreme is 1.64 and 1.66 i wouldnt be concerned about it, most of the ram we have at 1600 doesnt even ned 1.64 to do 7 cas, nevermind 8.

Ah ok thanks. I don't think it's an issue but I'm trying to sort out my instability problem. I was almost sure I was giving everything more than enough voltage so the ram came to mind but hopefully the extra notch of qpi volts I added will do the trick. It would be nice to just be able to kkep that 1.648 steady instead of it bouncing up and down like that. It wasn't under load at all, it just does this in idle every few seconds, back and forth, 1.648..1.664...1.648....1.664....wtf. It stays put at 1.632v with the 1.64v bios setting. Oh well I'll try it like this for awhile and see if the qpi voltage does it. Gracias!

Last edited:
unless your checking with a DMM none of it matter anyway. the readings I suggest are off of peoples charts made from the very few reputable reviews and some end users on XS

i7's are hard to get stable at 4ghz+ as in 24/7 no matter what you throw at it stable...

It's surely a different beast. It gives no sign of instability before a crash\bluescreen. To this day I've never gotten a prime\linx error. Just random restarts and windows corruption.

DDR3 1600 timings

I was curious, how did you set your timings, manually or XMP? I read a Mushkin support thread about JEDEC sPD's only going to 667Mhz, and XMP was required to reach spec'd timings at speed on my 2000MHz. Does your mobo support it?

598814.png

Last edited:
Thats what I'm saying Rattle, with respect to the Timings. If you're not manually setting them, you're relying on the BIOS to read the SPD timings from the memory and configure the chipset to match these timings. But they only program the SPD's to the fastest official JEDEC standard supported. Intel defined the XMP profiles for speeds beyond that, and that's what sets the best timings at speed on my Mushkin.

Since it's fairly new to me, I was wondering what other people's results where with it.

http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/whitepaper/319124.pdf
http://forums.mushkin.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2169

598814.png

Back