• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP: Can't overclock E4600 anymore... was able to before

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orien2v2

Hi I'm noob here and my friend introduced me to this site to seek some help from more experienced users.

Anyway I have a E4600 at 2.4GHz... which I OC'ed to 3.0GHz and it ran stable for SEVERAL months... then suddenly one day I restarted my computer and noticed it has gone back to 2.4Ghz... I tried to OC it again but always failed... it can't even go to 2.6GHz even if I increased the voltage more... and I haven't changed any hardware and software... so what's the problem?

It couldn't be fried too cuz it's running at a normal temp and I'm using a Coolermaster GeminII... HELP!

ps. I have done the following:
- updated BIOS version (My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L)
- restored Vista just to see if it's caused by settings I've accidentally changed
- increasing the voltage doesn't work
- stress tested my CPU with Prime95 to see if it's faulty, obviously it's not
- unplugged all hardware except hdd, dvd, ram and gpu

HELP PLEASE!!! So confused right now :bang head

Hi I'm noob here and my friend introduced me to this site to seek some help from more experienced users.

Anyway I have a E4600 at 2.4GHz... which I OC'ed to 3.0GHz and it ran stable for SEVERAL months... then suddenly one day I restarted my computer and noticed it has gone back to 2.4Ghz... I tried to OC it again but always failed... it can't even go to 2.6GHz even if I increased the voltage more... and I haven't changed any hardware and software... so what's the problem?

It couldn't be fried too cuz it's running at a normal temp and I'm using a Coolermaster GeminII... HELP!

ps. I have done the following:
- updated BIOS version (My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L)
- restored Vista just to see if it's caused by settings I've accidentally changed
- increasing the voltage doesn't work
- stress tested my CPU with Prime95 to see if it's faulty, obviously it's not
- unplugged all hardware except hdd, dvd, ram and gpu

HELP PLEASE!!! So confused right now :bang head

I have the same problem with my E6400. Oc'd, stressed and stable at 3.2ghz for ~1 year. Then one day I'm on the computer, and it feels a little sluggish. I do anitvirus/malaware/disk defrage. No help. I fire up CPU-Z, and sure enough, it's at 2.16ghz (stock).

After trying to OC it again, I could not get 3.2 to be stable. I could only get to 3.0.

In my situation, I believe it's related to room temp.

Has your room been warm lately?

nope my room is the same as always. Also, I have air conditioning in my room which is on almost the whole dayand it's blowing directly at my cpu too. It's been in the same position for years.

By the way, I'm not saying I can't oc as much as before, it's actually I can't oc at all... it's like I'm stuck at stock speed... weird~ any ideas??? I'm really confused~ it's like my processor decided to retire from oc-mode and just spend the remaining of its life (which I assume is around 10 years for an Intel) sitting on a couch...

:welcome:

Have you tried clearing the CMOS on the motherboard?

As Jason suggested, what are your CPU temps under load?
Is the CPU cooler free of dust & is the fan still working?
Case (system) temp?
What RAM are you using?
What power supply are you using?

What specifically happens when you try overclocking?

:welcome:

Have you tried clearing the CMOS on the motherboard?

As Jason suggested, what are your CPU temps under load?
Is the CPU cooler free of dust & is the fan still working?
Case (system) temp?
What RAM are you using?
What power supply are you using?

What specifically happens when you try overclocking?

Yes I've tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery as well as using a jumper... then I tried updating the BIOS version as well.

And my temps are around 52 when running a Prime95 test, while 42 during idle. Yes the cooler fans are still working and free of dust.

RAM I'm using is Corsair XMS2 2GB x 2

And my power supply is a standard power supply which I got along with my casing with 500W of power which I think is enough for now until I decided to upgrade my PC. And I don't think it's the case as I have been able to oc it before... I don't get it~ my cpu just won't oc anymore! Not even 0.1GHz I guess... I'm stuck at stock speed~ man...

I just read yesterday that having USB Legacy support set to Enabled can be a problem. Try Disabling that.

There were two other things mentioned, I'll see if I can find the post.

It sounds like the BIOS reset. When you went back to OCing did you ensure that your RAM settings were set correctly?

It sounds like a mobo problem if the RAM has been set properly. You might be able to get an RMA, but I'm not sure of GB's policies.

I just read yesterday that having USB Legacy support set to Enabled can be a problem. Try Disabling that.

There were two other things mentioned, I'll see if I can find the post.

I've tried disabling it in the BIOS, but still no luck. What are the other two things mentioned? I'm really grateful that you are helping :D

It sounds like the BIOS reset. When you went back to OCing did you ensure that your RAM settings were set correctly?

It sounds like a mobo problem if the RAM has been set properly. You might be able to get an RMA, but I'm not sure of GB's policies.

I set my ram at 4-4-4-12 and increasing the voltage by another 0.3v... according to Corsair it was necessary to do so in order to achieve such timings so I guess they are running within Corsair's standards which I guess it's safe.

If it's a mobo problem and I decided to get RMA for it, does GB cover this under their policy??? I mean I can't oc but do they cover for it?

I think I read it somewhere saying OCed CPUs will deterior over time and they will not be able to hold the same OCing state they used to like they when were newer. I'm not saying it is your problem, it just "may" be. Neither Intel nor any board manufacturers warranty OC of their boards. They will only garantee stock speed failure. If they work okay at stock, they not ganna replace it.

Can you describe exactly what is happening after you try to OC?

Is it telling you that the OC failed? Or does it double-boot, and then return to stock settings?

Do any BIOS changes stick? Can you adjust the RAM timings, and speed, but leave the CPU OC alone, and it works?

I'm trying to determine if the board just won't let you OC or if it won't keep any setting. If the latter then GB should definitely give you an RMA if they can't fix it over the phone.

I think I read it somewhere saying OCed CPUs will deterior over time and they will not be able to hold the same OCing state they used to like they when were newer. I'm not saying it is your problem, it just "may" be. Neither Intel nor any board manufacturers warranty OC of their boards. They will only garantee stock speed failure. If they work okay at stock, they not ganna replace it.

Yes I've read about that too and I rather be having my CPUs deteriorating than being stucked at stock speed :-/

Can you describe exactly what is happening after you try to OC?

Is it telling you that the OC failed? Or does it double-boot, and then return to stock settings?

Do any BIOS changes stick? Can you adjust the RAM timings, and speed, but leave the CPU OC alone, and it works?

I'm trying to determine if the board just won't let you OC or if it won't keep any setting. If the latter then GB should definitely give you an RMA if they can't fix it over the phone.

Well it double-boots and returns to stock speed. And yes the RAM timing and speed is still kept in the BIOS, same goes for other settings EXCEPT parts related to cpu oc. It's weird... I'm able to oc my RAM but not my cpu:screwy:

I really appreciate the help guys. Any other ideas or suggestions I could try?

yeah i dont think it's your cpu deteriorating. I'd pull it out the case and build it outside the case, a bare build, powersupply, cpu/heatsink, mobo, 1 stick of ram, and video, and keyboard. see where that gets you. blow out any dust too. reseat your cpu in the socket just for "giggles".

Will it let you set a lower multi like 7 or 6? Does it stick? Can you then raise the FSB any w/ the CPU multi lowered?

Possibly the backup battery itself. On my athlon xp system, when the backup batt. died It took it back down to stock speeds, and it was miserable. Thought it was broke! Replaced battery and all was good.

If your settings are all mysteriously at default, try replacing the battery.

Back