• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I swap PSU's ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

OK (getting tired so this may get a bit mushy...)

I am concerned that my Ubuntu Rig is getting starved for power. This is the current setup:
Tyan Tiger MPX, dual Athlon MP 2800's (Barton core's) 1GB PC2100 (512X2), AGP BFG 6800GT OC edition (requires extra power from a Molex),Sound blaster live Sound card, 5-port USB controller, PCI IDE controller card. 4 HDD's, CD-R/W, DVD drive, zip drive, floppy, and a Scythe fan controller (2 80MM fans 2 temp probes -for the CPU heat sinks), their is also 2 120mm fans, a 80 mm fan and a 90mm fan. (I am also considering putting my Sapphire ThratriX (ATI 550 Pro) card in it)

All of this is currently being powered by a OCZ 500W StealthXStream Power Supply. {link} This is a brand new PSU.. Power tested stable with my Multimeter

Now I also have a ULTRA X-Finity™ 600 Watt PSU {link}(in my wifes system: ASUS A8N5X, 4200x2 (not OD'd) ATI HD2600, 1 Hdd, DVD-r/w, CD-R/W. Sound blaster Audigy. 2 120mm fans, 60mm fan and a 80mm fan)

Knowing that the wifes rig could comfortably run on less power, would I be better off swapping the PSU's (the ultra does have more connectors and better calble...) I am also not sure witch is the better PSU on quality...(current understanding is that they are comparable).

Well if any one understands my question, I am open for any and all realistic suggestions.

Last edited:
You haven't given any reason to suspect your setup is starved for power. Are you experiencing instability? If not, "don't fix it if it ain't broke," as the old saying goes.
You have a lot of stuff in the box but no one thing draws much power.

You haven't given any reason to suspect your setup is starved for power. Are you experiencing instability? If not, "don't fix it if it ain't broke," as the old saying goes.
You have a lot of stuff in the box but no one thing draws much power.

...No I have not noticed even a flinch of instability. So it would appear that raw power is not an issue.

At this point the only reason I might still swap PSU's would be due to the Ultra PSU having more connectors and better cable for wire (air flow) manaigment...

As far as the airflow, are your temps okay? And as far as connectors, if you have enough to power everything in your box then why swap PSUs unless you plan on adding something else that requires a connector you don't have?

"don't fix it if it ain't broke," as the old saying goes.

Trents,

That's one of my favorite quotes and I agree 100%.

On the other hand, "Fix it until it breaks" comes to mind too!

DUSNOETOS, that's not meant to slam you at all but it is good advice. You're fine unless there are power issues you are dealing with.

Back