• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worst possible time to have to buy a new cell phone...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
So I got laid off earlier this week, started tossing my resume out there hardcore and posted it on Monster and Dice.

Yesterday I notice my phone is just clicking but nothing else, well I ignore it as I figured it would ring if there was a call coming through.

*note phone is a Verizon Moto Q9m*

Well after a few hours of putzing around the house I go to check the phone to see if I missed any calls.

WTF THREE missed calls?? ACK! Odd!? Unknown number listed!? No voicemail left? Ok go back to the main screen now.. umm anytime, no really its ok! .....

Phone is completely locked up. No biggie, its WinMo, Im used to that, reboot time! Hold the power button, continue holding the power button, STILL holding the power button...

Not powering off!

GAHHH stupid WinMo, fine, Ill show you, Ill take the battery out. Umm except. that. the. cover. is. stuck. on. Ok screw driver time! AND A KNIFE!

ok cover off, Ill just pop that battery out and umm wtf.. ok, battery come out!

5 minutes later I have gouged holes THROUGH the casing of the battery to get it out, and the phone is rebooted. And I have ZERO ring but audio plays loudly.

*sigh*

reboot again

*bang phone on desk cursing Motorola for having ever realeased a piece of garbage phone*

phone comes on and ringer works. kind of.

gahhhhhhhhhh :bang head:mad:

So today after a quasi business lunch I go to Verizon to look at new phones, I REALLY want an Android but Verizon is evidently terrified of anything NOT WINMO...:screwy:

Put my name in the queue and wander around mashing different phones and tossing my Q9m on the ground "accidently" repeatedly.

Get called up and turn around to respond, and damn near trip over my jaw. Verizon got a SMOKING HOT CSR. WOO HOO.

Who was also blunt and really friendly. "Oh I see you have the Q9m, let me guess, it kinda works, if it wants, sort of, sometimes, but only on dates and times that it chooses?"

"Well excluding the battery welding itself to the phone? That's about right!"

"ok what do you use your phone for?" *evidently it had gotten cold in the store by this point, I was TRYING to look her in the eyes I promise!*

*conversation goes on for a few and I am left with the knowledge that I am going to have to go to a crackberry*

"Really? No other phones are decent enough and can handle more then one email account at the same time that ARENT WinMo?"

"Yarly"

*sigh*

"Ok So which Crackberry?"

"NOT THE STORM"

*Boggle*

"Get the curve, its the best phone we have in the store hands down"

*boggle*

"Ya, umm its pink, Im not really a huge pink phone fan"

"Silver it is then, oh and you arent REALLY at the free upgrade point but Ill do the sale price plus 50 bucks off and toss in a car charger, screen protector, and case"

45 minutes later, the Q9m is sitting on my floor as a very small footstool, the crackberry is charging and I am wondering why I didnt get a crackberry a year and a half ago instead.

Anyone got any decent hacks, tips, cracks for crackberrys?

Ditch the built in blackberry browser and go with Opera Mini. Its much faster, and seems to work better for me. Also, in the BlackBerry App World (or whatever its called), there is a program called Quick Pull. Stay away from it at all costs. It is supposed to reset the phone like pulling out the battery does, but it seems like it caused more problems than it helped. I had to use the desktop manager to uninstall it, and had to reset my wifes phone to factory defaults to fix what it had done.

That was an entertaining read. Did you get yourself a date with the CSR?

Ditch the built in blackberry browser and go with Opera Mini. Its much faster, and seems to work better for me.

+1 for Opera Mini: the best mobile browser ever. It works by sending your requests through opera servers first, which compress and simply the data before sending it back to your phone, making web pages load several times faster than an ordinary browser.

So far I've been enjoying Bolt more than Opera Mini. It may not be as fast, but there's something about it that I just enjoy.
Poynt is pretty good, and so is Viigo, and of course there's always Google Apps

Google Apps is already installed.

Looking around the web for other stuff to see what I should/need/want to install.

I really want to get the app that the Iphone and the Android have. You take a picture of the Barcode with the camera and then it searches for the best price. I just want to play with it for now, maybe use it actually at a later date.

Alas, no I did not ask out the CSR, I am currently jobless and would rather not waste her and my time by asking a date.

I recommend you sell it and go out and buy a G1 Dream.

what he said!!!!!!
its so good! in the last year i have gone through about 20 phones, all in different price ranges, and i finally settled with the G1 , and for me to keep a phone over a month without getting bored with it and selling it is an archivement for me :) :santa:

what he said!!!!!!
its so good! in the last year i have gone through about 20 phones, all in different price ranges, and i finally settled with the G1 , and for me to keep a phone over a month without getting bored with it and selling it is an archivement for me :) :santa:

I'm happy with a dev1, but if I were to do it again I'd get a Hero or Samsung's upcoming android phone.

I recommend you sell it and go out and buy a G1 Dream.

He said he was on verizon, so that wouldn't be possible

I REALLY want an Android but Verizon is evidently terrified of anything NOT WINMO...
Thanks Dap for the reading comprehension.

I do want an Android phone, Verizon has pushed back getting one for well over a year already IIRC.

I HAVE to have a functional phone at this point in time due to the fact that I dont have a job and need to have a way to be contacted.

I like Verizon, I havent had anywhere near the issues with Verizon that I had with Sprint, TMobile doesnt have great coverage in the parts of the US that I frequent (per their own map), so they are out and I refuse to get an Iphone EVER.

Blackberry has their own App Store. It also includes reviews on everything which is nice. You'll want that for sure.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/appworld/?

Both myself and my wife use this. It's kind of nice to not have to go to the website and search for the apps you need. Also, if you happen to frequent youtube, there is an app called Xenozu that brings it right to your 'Berry. If your curve is wifi enabled, I recommend you use that for your internet stuff whenever available. We have a plan from T-Mobile that allows us to get free minutes whenever our phones make a call over a wifi network, so our monthly minutes never go over 100 on our plan. I was told by one of the CSR's that the Hotspot@Home plan has recently been discontinued, and is no longer available unless you already have it. Another nice app to look into is called speed test. It's not really necessary if you don't use the net much though. My best recommendation would be to just browse the App World, and find what you like or need. I mostly use mine for calls, texts, and browsing OCF when I'm not at my computer so YMMV.

Dood, you need to get out of your verizon contract and bail to the land of iPhone. No, really. I supported numerous curve models at my last job and they were all okay for what they did, but after owning and using the iPhone for the past year I can say with all certainty that it's the best smartphone ever. No one's even close.

I was on verizon prior to ATT. No difference is coverage or service quality in my area. I also get a hefty discount under my girlfriend's employer. All wins wins wins. Verizon called to ask what they could do to win me back, I told them I was satisfied with their service but not their phones. I told them when they put an iPhone on their network for me and match ATT's discounted pricing, I'll be back. :D

As I read that I thought it was going to be like that story of having the wallet stolen at Home Depot by the two hitchhiker chicks.

Dood, you need to get out of your verizon contract and bail to the land of iPhone. No, really. I supported numerous curve models at my last job and they were all okay for what they did, but after owning and using the iPhone for the past year I can say with all certainty that it's the best smartphone ever. No one's even close.

I was on verizon prior to ATT. No difference is coverage or service quality in my area. I also get a hefty discount under my girlfriend's employer. All wins wins wins. Verizon called to ask what they could do to win me back, I told them I was satisfied with their service but not their phones. I told them when they put an iPhone on their network for me and match ATT's discounted pricing, I'll be back. :D

*sigh*

No. just no.

I dont want, will never want, shall never want, will NEVER PURCHASE an Iphone.

Hell I wont even get an Ipod.

I have an EXTREME dislike of Apple for a variety of reasons least of which is their VASTLY overpriced, cultlike, OMGITSANAPPLEITSTEHBESTESTSEVAR, ridiculousness.

Wow really, I can buy a PC for 4x the price?

Back