• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning a partionally rusty radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

Hey all,

I scored a nice deal on a PA 120.3 for only $65 locally but it was cheap because it had some little rust here and there and some calcium.

Now I was wondering is it safe for copper, brass, aluminum radiators to be soaked in CLR? The ports on the radiator will be blocked off.

Or is there another safer chemical alternative to get the rust off on fins etc.

I don't see why not. I've cleaned rads/blocks and pumps with CLR and boiling hot water. Works great. Just be sure to flush it out good.

Nice score on the rad!

The rust on the outside can be taken off with naval jelly. Put the goop on with a brush, let it sit for 20-30 min, rinse off. Then sand to clear steel and paint. Whats nice about it is it's sticky, and can be used in just the rust spots on the steel sides and ends.

Soaking in CLR is a fine idea also for just getting rid of the calcium buildup. Does CLR say anything about using on copper/brass/solder? Prolly not cuz I read it's great on a rad. I have used ZAP in a spray bottle to clean calcium buildup in a shower, it works good, but dunno about using on brass/copper.

What does it look like inside the barb holes? See any buildup?

ya, it will be fine using clr, it's basically the same thing as vinegar. as for the rust, sand it off and repaint?

What does it look like inside the barb holes? See any buildup?

I see calcium inside.

Now the hard part is the rust on the fins itself. What can I use that can get rust off but without any physical scrubbing so I don't end up denting the fins? Or should I just slap some light spray paint over those sections to pretend it was never there? lol

The fins aren't steel, they are brass or copper. So it's not rust. I'd CLR it, scrubbing bubble it, a few other household things. NOT Oven cleaner, it eats brass/copper.

Ingenuity and patience I guess.

Alright dudes, Looks like Ill be soaking this sucker with CLR inside and outside. Then flush sand paint etc. Thanks all

+1 on the CLR, "set it and forget it" just rinse until there is no signs of the chemical left in the system. I would move the rad around a bit then flush it again you would be suprised how much of the gunk can get trapped in there when flushing and then break free after.

Back