• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE the best option?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TouchedByMagic

Registered
I've always used Mircrosofts internet explorer in one form or another and thats what they use at my school and my school before that and the library and seemingly everywhere. However, while posting on here some1 said that i should try Opera. I checked it out briefly and it looks pretty but is it worth all the effort? Am i gonna get conflicts and just general problems if i switch. Or r there even better internet browsers out there?

All opinions welcome!!

i use mozilla in linux and i know they have a windows version which i would use, but their java and flash support isn't too hot. and netscape isn't an option IMHO. i've never tried opera,but someone else on the board may have. personally right now i'm using IE6 and its not too bad.

jeff

i tried opera once only for about 20 minutes. thought it to be so much better then ie.
ie is still the one im using.
from that short experience all i can say is that if you want a more customizable and advanced browser than it is ie, opera perhaps is the best option available. it seems also to be more fast.
be prepared to waste several minutes configuring it, if you r the kind of person that will want everything your way.
opera should be even more popular than it is now, the problem is that ie is so much more convenient. you havent to do anything to get it showing up in your desktop! that sucks!
im stuck, actually. i have w2k pro which means that i have no way to properly remove ie, as far as i know, w2k pro will always install it and its cousin, outlook express.
the only thing i thought the ies version was better than the one in opera was the full screen window. its possible that the newer opera version has improved its screen; that time ies was a bit larger.
ie will also customize a bunch of things in your os, and install some fixes that you still not have. perhaps opera wont.
there r also many applications that has the installation based on the ie versions, i dont know if this will be a problem when using another browser.
btw, whats up with the microsoft lawsuit?

Doesn't Opera cost money? I haven't found a free one that is better than IE.

Neoplanet was good, but still based on IE code. Don't know what neoplanet is like lately tho.

i use opera i like it better then ie.

esps the setting to block pop ups.

yes there is an ad, just one in the top right hand corner.

I have been around the block several times with IE, NetScape, and Opera. Bossman insists that all of our development be rendered correctly in both IE and NS (not always easy). I came across Opera and was thrilled with it. It has lots of stuff that I always thought a browser should have. I currently use IE 6.02, though. I couldn't get used to the ads in Opera using precious bandwidth on my old dialup line, and never could bring myself to drop $40 on it.

First i was a netscape fanatic, then i was an IE6 fanatic (still kinda partial...) but when i'm on my linux box i use nothing but Opera. Takes some getting used to, but it's fantastic and definitely worth a look. I'm gonna try the windows vers sometime soon.

Back