d20 in a jacket

105cc. or 125cc?

Well, this is pretty simple. A friend of mine has property in Missouri and dirt bikes around here as well, but he is 110lbs and is too big for his stock 80cc. Honda. The issue arises with his father (who is paying). He and his sister are about the same height (5'2'') and they both want a 105 because they need a lower stand-over height, but on the other hand, father is saying to get a 125 because he is still growing and a 105 will be too small in a few years (he's 12). I usually go down to Missouri with them and although the 80 will get up and go once you get on the clutch, but I have noticed that for a 5'11'', 150lb person, an 80 is too small. So I was just looking for your advice here so I could pass it on. Firstly, do you think they should get a 105 or a 125, and then secondly, how would a 105 handle me (the 5'11'' @ 150lb person) as opposed to a 125? Thanks in advance guys.
    Ed - "Aight it's pulling down... Thing is really tuned for LN2 though."
    This is the team you are looking for...
    I accept Bitcoins!

Folding@Home in Downunder Australia.Victoria
    Definitely go the 125cc, the father is right on,, will be more future proof, and you would be better off too on a 125cc

d20 in a jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly-Swagman View Post
    Definitely go the 125cc, the father is right on,, will be more future proof, and you would be better off too on a 125cc
    I figured that much. Thanks for that advice. And sorry to add, but another question. I was told a while ago that a 125 was built off the same frame as a 250, but obviously with a smaller cc. displacement. Is there any true to this? Because it doesn't seem to make sense to put a 125cc engine in a frame made for a 250cc engine.
    I accept Bitcoins!

I would also go with a 125cc at this point. The bigger bike will have longer travel on the shocks, and most likely better endurance. The 125cc will also be an easier transition to a 250 or higher if they pursue that route.

Physical stamina was very high when riding. I feel like a slouch now.

From the KX125 and KX250 that I owned, it was two different frames. This was in the late 80's- early 90's, so things might have changed since then. I haven't really kept up with the sport.

Senior Jedi Master
    Premium Member #9

If he's still growing, get the 125 for sure.
    The will to live will always outweigh the ability to die

d20 in a jacket

Quote Originally Posted by noxqzs View Post
    I would also go with a 125cc at this point. The bigger bike will have longer travel on the shocks, and most likely better endurance. The 125cc will also be an easier transition to a 250 or higher if they pursue that route.

Physical stamina was very high when riding. I feel like a slouch now.

From the KX125 and KX250 that I owned, it was two different frames. This was in the late 80's- early 90's, so things might have changed since then. I haven't really kept up with the sport.
    Thanks for the frame help. I looked up specs on the 105 and 125 sx's and they were low to mid 30's. I pulled out the good old tape measure and that is crotch height for me standing flat footed so they should be able to lean it a little and stand over.
    I accept Bitcoins!