• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jigsaw For Window Mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BinarySuperman

Guys do you recommend a jigsaw for windows mods, i heard they do a outstanding job, plus i found 1 for 20 bucks on the homedepot website.

depends on the shape of the window, they're not the best at circular windows, but they'll work fine for the job, for rectangular or square windows, or windows with straight edges, they work excellently, keep a steady hand and have at least one extra blade for it, keep that thing sharp so it is easier and makes cleaner cuts, you'll have to file the edges as well after you're done, and i recommend a bit of paint primer or something just to prevent any type of corrosion if it's a standard steel case, if it's aluminum, you're good to go.

I think you'd be best to use a Dremmel or a Die Grinder (if you have access to one) and a mighty f*ckload of re-enforced cutting wheels depending on what your case is made out of.

If you're going to use a jigsaw, then use a very fine blade.

good luck, and post pictures! :D

i used one for my almost squair window! it has perfect squair corners and perfectly strait edges and cuts clean, iv never used a dremel for cutting though, because i dont have the blades, but i did cut 2 blowholes in the top for my rad, and it is hard to cut rounded things, luckly you dont see the holes!
well they are mostly round, just a little off

I wouldn't use a jig saw unless you are really good at it. If you do use one don't get a cheap one like that. They only have a single speed, which mean it will cut at max speed at all time. I guess you can use it for straight line and use a hand saw for the corners:p

Yeah, if you're gonna spring for a jigsaw, make sure you get a variable speed one. I got my skill jigsaw at Manards for $25. Get a pack of 24 tpi (teeth per inch) bi-metal blades too. Pirranah brand blades are awesome.

I love my jigsaw. I use a sharp pencil to draw my cut-line, it's easier to follow. I can make about any shape cutout I want...round or square.
You could practice on a piece of wood first to get the hang of it.

Hint: the narrower the blade (teeth to back edge) the tighter the circle it can cut.

I used one to cut my window and it has curves and straight edges. You can dress up the edges with a dremel after using it. If you have never used one though be careful. To cut thin metal like the case put a backing of 1/4 plywood or even a little thicker behind the metal and cut through both at same time. Without it the saw will vibrate like crazy.:beer:

a jigsaw works great. I used it on mine and it cut nice round holes.just get a fine tooth blade for metal.and go slow. it makes a lot of noise.

Dremel all the way

Well, the question comes up all thetime what works best to cut, I think the Dremel is by far the easiest. I cracked a lot of plexi trying to use a jigsaw. The dremel cut through quickly with very clean edges. The Dremel cuts anything too.

Go Dremel

Re: Dremel all the way

Darrenct said:
Well, the question comes up all thetime what works best to cut, I think the Dremel is by far the easiest. I cracked a lot of plexi trying to use a jigsaw. The dremel cut through quickly with very clean edges. The Dremel cuts anything too.

Go Dremel

true but you gotta use what you have can't always afford something new

Back