• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Mechwarrior game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I heard about that a short while back, so can't wait!!! I wanted a online version for a few years. Plus the game world is a bit boring now, I could use a good fun game.

How in the world did I miss this? I spent more hours with my face glued to a 15" MAG monitor playing Mechwarrior 2, MW2 Ghost Bear's Legacy, and MW2 Mercenaries than I can count. I built a new Pentium90 machine just to play it.

3 and 4 didn't do it for me but the solid year+ I got out of the MW2 series was well worth it.

This makes Diablo III and MW Online my two most anticipated games.

I've been keeping my eye on both Hawken and MWO...my joystick has sat idle for so long...it'll be hell getting used to it again.

hawken looks very nice. How do they keep it a free to play game?

That’s not all though, we have some big news about the game. We are confirming that Hawken will launch as a free-to-play PC game. Initial release is officially scheduled for 12/12/12.

Oh, SNAP! When I first heard the words "Reactor: online, sensors: online, weapons: online, all systems: online" in that trailer, I freaked out. SOOOOOO stoked! :D :D :D

...though I seem to remember it being "all systems: nominal" in MW2?

Same here! I got chills during the start up, but leaving out nominal left some to be desired. Maybe they want to differentiate themselves from the past?

Greetings!

Dev Blog 6 - MechLab
What can be done to a BattleMech?

BattleMechs can have various components swapped out/upgraded at the cost of C-Bills. The systems that can be swapped out include:

• Weapons
• Armor
• Engines
• Heat Sinks
• Jump Jets
• ECM equipment
• Modules

How does it all fit?

MechWarrior Online incorporates a “Hardpoint” system which dictates, above all other customization, that weapons can only be swapped out with weapons of the same weapon type. For example, energy weapons cannot be swapped with ballistic weapons.

Each location on a BattleMech, such as the Right Arm or Center Torso, may include a number of hard points. The number of hard points in a given location is determined on a per variant basis, and is based on the weapons included in the variant’s default loadout. For example, a ’Mech that, by default, comes with 2 Medium Lasers and an Autocannon/2 in its Left Torso may actually have 3 energy weapon hard points and 2 ballistic hard points in that location. So, if the player is able to satisfy the weight and critical slot requirements, they could equip an additional energy weapon and ballistic weapon into that Left Torso, or swap out the Medium Lasers for other energy weapons, etc.

How do Hardpoints work?

Greetings!

Centurion:
http://mwomercs.com/news/2012/01/97-battlemech-6-centurion

Commando:
http://mwomercs.com/news/2012/02/131-battlemech-7-commando

Raven:
http://mwomercs.com/news/2012/04/208-battlemech-9-raven
Preview: Hands On with MechWarrior Online
As our team (or Lance, in MechWarrior lingo) marched forward to meet the enemy in the middle of the large rocky, lightly forested map with a wide river through it, we busied ourselves with the fiddly process of mapping our weapon groups to the mouse buttons and number keys -- handy for managing heat and ballistic ammo use. I used the Jenner's jumpjets to perch on a hill looking down on the valley, and though I was quickly chased off by laser fire, my team was already using the targeting data I'd relayed them to lock on and launch volleys of missiles from halfway across the map -- one of the main advantages to having a scout in play.

What began as a 4v4 match soon whittled down to me and an allied long-range Catapult mech against a lone enemy Atlas. It's two on one, sure, but that Atlas is mean, carrying a full arsenal of powerful particle projection cannons (PPCs) and assorted lasers, plus long-range rocket pods and nigh-impenetrable armor.

As a light mech against a heavy I was badly mismatched, but while my ally survived I felt like we had a chance: whenever the Atlas turned to track down the source of the missiles raining down on him from afar, I'd dart out from behind cover, zap him in the relatively vulnerable rear armor with heavy lasers, and jump-jet over a rock to take cover again before he could swivel his guns to target me. That tag-team approach showed how two coordinated light mechs can ruin a heavy's day. That is, until my ally failed to dodge a missile barrage and got himself killed; then it was just me and the Atlas. I still made him work for it.

MechWarrior Online isn't about bringing targets down quickly with headshots. (Hell, some don't even have heads.) Battles are much more about consistency: picking a body part and hitting it until it blows off. I targeted the Atlas' right arm as I strafed by at top speed, using jumpjets erratically to throw off his aim, hoping to disable at least some of the laser-hell chasing me everywhere I ran. Since there's no way to repair in the field, that could've evened the odds a little.

But it was only a matter of time before his PPCs took a leg out from under me. It didn't kill me outright, but it did rob my poor little Jenner-that-almost-could of the only thing keeping me alive: speed. The Atlas closed in for the kill, shrugging off my last laser blast as it pummeled me to dust with rockets. So I lost, and lost hard, but it was a well-fought battle -- and any time the most memorable story of an afternoon of matches was a battle you lost, it generally bodes well for a game.

Back