• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will 768 MB of memory help in win xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

Hi all,

The subject line basically says it all. I have a machine with 768 mb of ddr ram, running win 98. I have all that ram in it because I'm about to switch to xp, and I was wondering if xp can address and use all that memory. I play Max Payne and Return to Castle Wolfenstein a lot, with all video settings maxed out. Will all this memory help, and maybe enable me to eliminate the swap file?

What are you switching from? If your buying like 512ram then its not worth it, if your switching from Win2K.

And yes it would help.

Yodums

"How are you even running Win98 with 768MB? WIn98 can only recognize 512MB without blowing up. "

I dunno, I just put the memory in the machine and booted it up. No errors, no lockups, no problems whatsoever. I don't know if it matters, but I am running a stripped down version (via custom install option) of win 98, and I have almost nothing running in the background. It's 98 version A too.

AFAIK, Windows 98 won't "blow up" with more than 512mb, it just won't recognize or use it.

Windows XP on the other hand will. Of the top of my head I think it will take up to 4gb.

Yes memory will hekp with games but there are other bottlenecks too - ie if you are running a PIII 450MHz CPU then doubling your RAm wont help:D

For games I would say get a GeForce 2 Ti/Radeon for increase in game performance. If you have that then upgrade CPU and RAM

yeah i read somewhere that Win98 will run with more then 512MB ram, but it just doesn't use it efficiently or something along those lines

In light of some recent comments in this thread, I'm clarifying some system specs: The cpu is a duron 950 overclocked to 1270 or thereabouts, and the video card is a radeon 8500. The cpu will soon be replaced with an athlon xp 1700+, the duron is just temporary.

KaHNZa said:
How are you even running Win98 with 768MB? WIn98 can only recognize 512MB without blowing up. :confused:

What do you mean without blowing up. I had in my computer running Windows 98S.E. and I had 2x512m.b. PC-133 ram. With the one I just built for my Fiancee it to has that much ram. Most of the time it was using 511m.b. of the total 1024m.b.

v8440 said:
In light of some recent comments in this thread, I'm clarifying some system specs: The cpu is a duron 950 overclocked to 1270 or thereabouts, and the video card is a radeon 8500. The cpu will soon be replaced with an athlon xp 1700+, the duron is just temporary.

ull be fine, i had 768mb and XP ran great.. i have 256mb now, its it lags sometimes..

I was just wondering. Whats the right amount of ram for XP. Right now I have 256m.b. of PC2100. IF prices ever go back down I might get more. The board I have right now can handle 3 gigs but don't want to go that high. All I do is game, download MP3`s and Burn music in such when I can. Sometime when DVD-RW`s lower the price I might try to get one of those so I can burn movie`s as well.

Klownin79 said:
I was just wondering. Whats the right amount of ram for XP. Right now I have 256m.b. of PC2100. IF prices ever go back down I might get more. The board I have right now can handle 3 gigs but don't want to go that high. All I do is game, download MP3`s and Burn music in such when I can. Sometime when DVD-RW`s lower the price I might try to get one of those so I can burn movie`s as well.

well maxium PC states in there testing, that 512 is the best amount of memory to use on XP unless you run a sever..

What they mean by win98 "blowing up" is that it crashes. The deal is that the way Win98 is written, there is a good chance that it will crash if it has over 512MB ram. It is not guaranteed to crash though. The arrangement of variables in your system must be ok, but the truth is that the mem past 512 is not being utilized. WinXP can utilize it, though. I currently run 512 on my XP Pro system and it absolutely flies. I had a third 256 stick in there and saw no improvement in performance, so I put it in another system.

Here is the MicroSoft knowlwdge base article describing the problem.

Hope I helped!:)

Spode said:
AFAIK, Windows 98 won't "blow up" with more than 512mb, it just won't recognize or use it.

Windows XP on the other hand will. Of the top of my head I think it will take up to 4gb.

Yep yep, I've used over 512 in 98se too,, dosen't affect anything, but it's just a waste, put the mem in another comp.
Or upgrade to XP :p

In reply to an earlier question, the duron is not a morgan core. If I remember correctly, only 1 GHz and faster durons are morgans. I didn't know that when I ordered the 950, or I would have paid the extra few dollars. It still flies at 1270, since the rest of the system is pretty well optimized. (aggressive memory timings, fsb in the 157 MHz range, etc.) With only 512 MB of memory, I was able to hit 165 MHz, and I hit 169 with 256, but that's another story...

Nice overclock what motherboard and cooler are you using? My cousin has the 950 and only able to get it to 1.7 with Volcano 6cu+ and 1.85 core.

Since its from Win98 switch over no questions. Your just wasting what you paid for in Windows 98 since your ram doesn't get utilized AT ALL.

Yodums

<Nice overclock what motherboard and cooler are you using? My cousin has the 950 and only able to get it to 1.7 with Volcano 6cu+ and 1.85 core.

Since its from Win98 switch over no questions. Your just wasting what you paid for in Windows 98 since your ram doesn't get utilized AT ALL.

Yodums>

Your cousin got it to 1.7? Not to be doubtful, but is that a misprint? To answer your questions, I'm running a koolance case, and a shuttle ak31 rev 3 with the volt mod. The 1270 MHz was achieved with 2.064 volts. On the win 98/xp thing, the reason I'm running 98 is that while I was experimenting with the overclocking of this machine, every time I pushed it too far with xp installed, it corrupted data badly enough that it wouldn't reboot. So, I formatted and reinstalled 98 for the time being until I finish the overclocking attempts and get it stable. Once I get it stable at whatever speed I can, I'll install xp again. You're right, xp is much superior, and I fully intend to run it when I'm done experimenting.

Back