• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MA790X-UD4P + x2 250

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jerryhey

Hello -

I've done some searching around and haven't found a straight answer on this one.

Will the Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P work out of the box with the Athlon II X2 250? I've heard both that I do need a bios update and that I [/i]don't[/i] need a bios update.

Will it POST and boot into windows as an unknown CPU without it? Or will it simply not POST at all?

Thanks!

So when I in two weeks build my PC - I'll drop the X2-250 into the socket, blah blah, it'll boot up and POST? All I care about is having a usable proc - I can flash the bios later.

But you're saying it'll plug-and-play? :santa:

Edit: I forgot to say thanks!

The unknown here is what bios the board will come with. Even if it comes with an earlier bios than F4 I would bet (if I were a betting man) that it would boot and function so that you could install the newer bios. Usually what you will see with new CPUs on an older bios is things like not identifying the chip properly or not being able to change the CPU multiplier if it is a black edition; things like that rather than not working at all. All of the major motherboard manufacturers offer Windows-based utilities that make it easy to update the bios.

Back