• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Finished Build.. HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZosoFan

So i just finished building my computer and for the first time, i have a ton of issues getting windows to work.

So the PC boots on, goes to BIOS (and everything looks great) but once i try to install windows, i have a lot of issue. Random blue screens of death, just getting stuck at a black page with nothing but a mouse... windows will not install. I have to HDD's, one is 1TB brand new, the other is 150GB with my old stuff on it. The older one booted once, but froze and blue screened after a few minutes. I have deleted both drives clean using the vista disc, and still no luck.

Also i get the Boot Manager is not available error when trying to boot without disc.

What the hell is going on?

Help me!

At this point, I am repeating what has already been said but here I go.

Test your RAM with memtest86+. I'm more than a bit certain that you will find errors. If you do, test the RAM one stick at a time until you find the bad one(s).

99% of the time, errors installing Windows is bad RAM.

personally i'd try the memtest first.. if you cant get that to fire up for you then go with 1 stick of memory and try installing.. windows doesnt need everything hooked up to install, especially memory.. even a 256 stick will install/run windows initially.

Welcome to the Forum!:welcome: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=491697 ZosoFan
Ya, please list your components. Like the stuff in our sigs.
Your post is a little confusing. You built up a new system and tried booting up from an old install on the same hdd?
Which hdd are you trying to install on? Do you have it desinated as first hdd in the bios?
Do you have the dvd as first boot device in the bios?

Sorry about the confusion.

All parts are new besides an old HDD which i have hooked up with a new 1TB one.

The issue isn't always BSOD though, sometimes it is just windows failing to install on the drives.
Q9550
EVGA GTX 295
Coolermaster HAF 932 Case
Red 12" Cathode Light
Coolermaster 900w PSU
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Mobo
G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
150GB Western Digital 10,000 speed

The CPU was a part from my old rig as well! Tested memory and nothing!

So i got it to boot to windows and have it all set up now... running on 1 stick of 2GB of ram.

So was my RAM really DOA? Or could it be the mobo acting weird? Im hoping downloading the drivers for the board will help it work with all 8

It could be the stick or it could be a bad slot. try moving the known working stick into the other slots to determine if a slot is bad

Okay, so i thought i would free bird it and try to run with all 8GB now that windows is installed and the mobo drivers as well... and all seems well so far. Though i would be lying if i said i wasn't expecting it to BSOD within an hour.

Okay, so i thought i would free bird it and try to run with all 8GB now that windows is installed and the mobo drivers as well... and all seems well so far. Though i would be lying if i said i wasn't expecting it to BSOD within an hour.

Sometimes you just need to install OS with the limited amount of Ram, then once all the Drivers ect are installed drop the rest of Ram in as you did ,, should be ok now,

Glad you got it going.

:welcome: to the OCForums

I sounds like you have not run memtest. Test the RAM and you will know. Don't test the RAM and you won't know if it's bad. memtest86+

what should i set the ram voltage to?

And the northbridge voltage?

Thanks guys!
Hopefully this works. It crashed the the BSOD while playing Crysis Warhead for only like 10-15 minutes

I still don't know if you ram memtest. It'll tell you if your problem is memory related. Set your ram voltage to whatever its rated for

Back