• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New into folding...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infected_

Is this dangerous to run 24/7?

During the day the gtx295 goes up to 85ºC.

is this safe for 24/7 folding?

Also, wont the cooler fan from the gtx295 die more quickly or something?

Thanks,

infected_

Yeah 85 is a bit high, you really want it under 80. You could bump up the fan speed or see if there is an air flow obstruction in your case.

I'm not sure about the fan dieing quicker. I guess if you are running it at 100% vs the 30% or so they are generally set at then yes they will get more wear faster. But I'm not sure if it is very common to see video card fans die quicker just because you bumped up the speed and ran it 24/7. If you tend to buy new hardware every few years then I really wouldn't be too concerned about it. I have been folding on a 8800GTS for almost a year and it is still running fine. Before that it was in the same system while I was doing SMP folding 24/7 for over a year. So even though it wasn't under load the fan was still running.

When you think about it your CPU fan runs at 100% all the time. My last computer gave me a good six years run before I replaced it (Athlon XP). That system saw 24/7 SETI@home and F@H and I never had that fan die on me.

I'm sure some who has a lot of GPU's folding away could give you more real world answers to that....... like ChasR

thanks for the reply Zerix01. i got my antec 1200 with the side panel open and all 8 fans at max.. i could try clean the front filters, they seem a little dirty. gonna try raising the fan speed to see what results i get. also going to send a pm to ChasR to get is opinion too.

thanks once again,

infected_

dont you want to disable SLI?

are you useing notfreds or just the SMP client for your CPU? im getting about twice the ppd with ntofreds with no oc'ing

notfreds? dont know what that is... :eh?:

im using the smp client with some commands in the shortcut..

and why should i disable th sli?

sorry, im new to this.

well the new nvidia drivers will enable sli use and both gpu's so disregard that.

Notfreds VM is an image of a stripped down version of linux and uses that SMP client, since the linux client gets better ppd than the windows verison, you are able to get better ppd on that.

check out the top section where the install directions are and take a look at the notfreds. its pretty easy to setup.

here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=602978

I've been running my GPU fan's at 75% which is 2700RPMs. Its pretty loud but it keeps the temps down under 80c while folding. I don't feel comfortable at 100% because 3300RPMs seems like too much. RivaTuner is a good tool to adjust the fan speeds.

I get about 8k ppd on my i7, by running 2 linux virtual machines with the linux smp client. Notfreds is quick easy way if you don't want to build your own linux VMs. HT might help your system be more responsive while folding 2 vms and 2 gpus. But even if you just ran 1 vm it would get more ppd and use less resources.

Can you leave SLI enabled and fold on 2 gpu's with the latest drivers?

hi Voidn. u arent afraid the fan may broke or something, folding 24/7 ?

edit: yes i can fold both gpu's with sli enabled, had to use "forcegpu" and "gpu X" commands.

Last edited:
Not at 75%. I'm more worried about the temps, especially when OCing the vid card.

I guess the new 190.38 will fold on 2 gpus without disabling sli.

59814844.png

with 25ºC ambient...

the fan is on auto.

maybe its safe if i leave this way? unless ambient temp raises..

Last edited:
you want to click the box at the bottom "Continue refreshing the screen" to make sure you dont go over 80. but your on the limit of OK. as ambient goes up so should the fans speed.

thanks for the reply Zerix01. i got my antec 1200 with the side panel open and all 8 fans at max.. i could try clean the front filters, they seem a little dirty.
You may also want to check the temps with the side cover on. My case actually runs cooler with the cover on because the fans are doing their job moving the air through the case. With the cover off, several of the fans are just moving outside air around, and not creating the airflow necessary for good case ventilation.

You may also want to check the temps with the side cover on. My case actually runs cooler with the cover on because the fans are doing their job moving the air through the case. With the cover off, several of the fans are just moving outside air around, and not creating the airflow necessary for good case ventilation.

You beat me to it. Yeah most cases are designed to get better air flow with the panels on. But keep in mind other internal obstructions.

I was having summer heat issues with my 8800GT, temps around 82C, with the fan at 100%. I have a first gen Thermal Take Armor case. I popped off the three dust vents in the front of the front bottom fan and took out two more PCI slot covers in the back. Temps are now 67C to 75C depending on ambients and how stressful the work unit is.

And just to clear up a few things. Pre 190 Nvidia drivers you had to disable SLI or only one GPU would be used. You would also still need to specify -gpu 0 -gpu 1 when starting the clients.

something wasn't right when i took that 2nd screen this afternoon... at night i started folding, and temps reached 84ºC. i decided to lower the core and memory of the vga, raising the shaders. i think i have better temps now.

24ºC ambient.

tomorrow going to try with the side panel on.

Last edited:
And just to clear up a few things. Pre 190 Nvidia drivers you had to disable SLI or only one GPU would be used. You would also still need to specify -gpu 0 -gpu 1 when starting the clients.

i have not disabled sli, and i have both gpus folding, using "forcegpu".

see for your self:

71601976.png

using 4 vmware machines, notfreds and 2 gpu clients.

is it between the average the PPD's?

thanks,

infected_

Back