• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rivatuner fan control issues & GPU2 FAH

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I have Windows 7 RC1 x64, latest Rivatuner, 190.38 nVidia drive, 9600 GSO 768MB.

Rivatuner just can't hold the fan to manual control settings. After I set it, it just reverts back to auto control even though it is still checked off as low level fan control and Direct control. Rebooting has no positive effect.

I don't have this problem with my 9800GTX+ with Vista/2008.

Is there an app that WILL take control of the fan speed and lock it down at whatever I set it at? (100% in summer)

If the card gets much past 70°C, it nans the WU more often.

Update: I turned off that worthless UAC, rebooted and now it seems to work (for now) :shrug:

Last edited:
The problem with UAC is it didn't learn when I'd say yes to applications. It kept blocking everything every time I tried to start it or most things I put in the startup menu. If it at least had a check box not to ask about that program again, I'd have kept it. It's not improved since Vista, just more subtle and behind your back instead of in your face. It's still an annoyance.

Thanx for the suggestion. I'll take a look at Precision.

i haven't had any problems with uac on win7 rc1. turn on my pc, it pops up as soon as im in, click yes, fan speed set, works perfectly.

if riva tuner wont do it the only thing would be to try another program.

Maybe it's a card BIOS issue

Looks like EVGA Precision has the same problem controlling the fan as Rivatuner did. RT was unistalled so there wouldn't be a conflict while testing Precision.

Note the fan speed graph won't hold the manual setting and always reverts to auto speed even while it is in manual control mode.

Now what?

Attachments

• Fan contro issue.jpg
    Fan contro issue.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,014
why not just control the auto fan control in rivatuner instead of forcing it at a certain percentage?

Also disable UAC :)

Auto only give me ~40% which is not enough cooling. I need 100% to keep it around 70°C or lower to prevent excessive nans. Ambient is 35°C inside and 43°C outside.

UAC has been turned off already.

I don't know if this is a PNY 9600GSO BIOS/hardware issue or Windows 7 issue.

RT works peachy on my Asus Commando, 9800GTX+ and Vista/Server 2008 x64

Auto only give me ~40% which is not enough cooling. I need 100% to keep it around 70°C or lower to prevent excessive nans. Ambient is 35°C inside and 43°C outside.

UAC has been turned off already.

I don't know if this is a PNY 9600GSO BIOS/hardware issue or Windows 7 issue.

RT works peachy on my Asus Commando, 9800GTX+ and Vista/Server 2008 x64

No, I mean control the automatic control. For example, I have mine set on auto but my auto gives me a min 50% fan and it'll increase to 100% by the time the core reaches 80C (chip is about 65C at this point). That's just how I have it set, you can always make the fan ramp up faster then that (so your fans are at 100% by 70C)

Alright here it goes:

1. Open up rivatuner > Power user
2. Scroll down to Rivatuner \ Fan
3. Change the value of AutoFanSpeedControl to "3" (this enables you to change the settings if you wish), exit and reopen rivatuner
4. Go back to the Main tab
5. Click on the customize button in the "Target adapter" box
6. A little menu will pop out, click the first option (looks like a video card) named "low level system tweaks"
7. Click on the Fan tab (should be default anyway) and check mark "enable low level fan control" and click on "auto"

here is what the values mean:

Duty Cycle min = minimum fan speed (in %)
Duty Cycle max = maximum fan speed (in %)
Tmin = minimum operating temp (if the GPU core temp is below this threshold, the fan will spin at the min duty cycle you assigned it -- make this number reasonable)
Trange = Controls the relationship between the fan speed and core temp once it surpasses Tmin (I'll explain this in a second)
Toperating / Tlow limit / Thigh limit = automatic system fan control (I'll explain this in a second as well)

First things first:

Set Toperating = 110, Tlow limit = 0, and Thigh limit = 110. By doing this, we will be able to control the automatic fan without having the system butt in by itself.

Next set your min fan speed to whatever you would like (I set mine to where I can just barely not hear the fan ~50%) and set the max fan speed to 100.

For Tmin, it is up to the user to decide. I personally chose 55 as the core won't get above 55C unless it's in some kind of crazy 3d usage. This way, I keep the noise to a minimum and she stays nice and cooler at idle / low usage.

As for Trange we must calculate this number:

Trange = (2*3) * {Tmax-Tmin)/[(Max Duty Cycle - Min Duty Cycle)/100]}

For this equation you must decide what your Tmax will be (basically the number at which you want your processor to run at). Once again select a realistic number. I found that this temperature will make your fans run about 80% or so. The lower the number, the faster then fans will increase in speed, the higher the number the more heat it will take to speed them up. Usually your number will be between 20-40 depending on how much fan you want.

Also note Trange must be an integer number and the number you put in might change automatically. Apparently the system can only accept certain numbers so it'll round to an acceptable one (for example I input 25 and it changes it to 26) so don't be alarmed by this.

Once you input your settings check apply at start up and I believe you have to have rivatuner start at start up as well (though I'm not sure about that).

Hopefully you got all that :)

Here are my settings:

Duty Cycle min = 50
Duty Cycle max = 100
Tmin = 55
Trange = 20
Toperating = 110
Tlow limit = 0
Thigh limit = 110

By doing that my OC'd GTX stays about 73C @ 80% fans on furmark which is about as intensive as you can get. F@H yeilds about 62ishC core temp and 60% fans so barely audiable :)

Alright here it goes:

1. Open up rivatuner > Power user
2. Scroll down to Rivatuner \ Fan
3. Change the value of AutoFanSpeedControl to "3" (this enables you to change the settings if you wish), exit and reopen rivatuner
4. Go back to the Main tab
5. Click on the customize button in the "Target adapter" box
6. A little menu will pop out, click the first option (looks like a video card) named "low level system tweaks"
7. Click on the Fan tab (should be default anyway) and check mark "enable low level fan control" and click on "auto"
No go. It's grayed out and unselectable.

This is after I uninstalled and reinstalled RT on my Asus Commando/S2k8/9800GTX+ that will hold a 100% manual fan speed setting. I also tried to set everything to default in RT before I uninstalled it, but the settings were still in the windows registry after reinstallation as all my overclocking and fan settings were intact. I even selected to completely remove RT and not save any settings during uninstallation.

When my wife gets off the Gigabyte/W7x64/9600GSO-768 system, I'll see if I can get your auto mode controls to work there since the manual controls don't.

Attachments

• RT Power user.jpg
    RT Power user.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 967
  • RT force driver version.jpg
    RT force driver version.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 957
  • RT low level system tweaks.jpg
    RT low level system tweaks.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 955
Back