• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

attn: hewlett packard ( HP ) owners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vulcanman09

can anyone tell me if these computers have the ahci setting in their bios

a female friend of mine wishes to give ubuntu a try ,
but i intend to install it under the ahci setting
so i wont bugger up her windows operating system

( hope i convert her to the dark side )
:-/:-/:-/:-/:-/:-/:-/:-/

as a rule most OEM pcs like HP/Dell are going to have a pretty disappointing bios. Have you had the opportunity to take a look at it yet? Will this really prevent damage to windows? I don't know, just curious. Good luck!

probably depends on how old the system is and whether or not it is a desktop or laptop. i know that many dells have the option (at least as of the optiplex 745s, maybe the 620s had them too, can't remember.

what model HP is it? I had a dv6000 that would run ubuntu, mint, and fedora but the Wifi didn't work. Common for crappy brands of computers.

HPs are pretty cheap that way.

what model HP is it? I had a dv6000 that would run ubuntu, mint, and fedora but the Wifi didn't work. Common for crappy brands of computers.

HPs are pretty cheap that way.

Really what is the point of revising the Wifi controller chips that much so every time they get caught up with Wifi drivers, new incompatible chips hit the market.

if she has windows installed, without ACHI on, turning it on with an install of windows that was installed with it off will break windows. just leave it off.

Back