• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best way to cut plexi??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

castor

Registered
hey I just bought a 2ftx2ft peice of plexiglass....umm whats the best way to cut it....its 3:16 thick<----- hehehehe
I dont want to screw it up too bad

plus someone give me really good advice on my first window mod....i just bought a brand new dremel...i kind of want a L-shaped window but an oval one will work as well.
if this doesnt work I will make the complete side door of my alienware plexi...and just put my latch and fan on it...Thats the easy way out idnt it? lol
ive got a practice case to play with and a lot more plexi

what about the moulding...must it have moulding....is there a cleaner way??????

Well if it is thin enough you can score it with an X-acto knife and then snap it. Otherwise use a jig saw or hand saw with very very fine teeth. If I were you I would use a hand saw.

THE PERFECT PLEXI TOOL

You need to go to wal-mart or what ever....and look for the package that has the bits that look just like the bits for the roto-zip...and it comes with the black attachment for the dremel. Just like the roto-zip. The kit comes with two drywall bits and one multi purpose bit. Use the mulit purpose one to cut your plexi with. It works great, cuts the plexi not melting it. SWEET

I found mine at Wal-mart. It's got a black base type thingie and three bits in the package. Basically what it does is convert your dremel into a roto-zip so you can cut with the sides of the special bits.

YOU NEED THIS it works perfect. I havn't found anything else that makes working with plexi that easy.

all hail the mighty dremel..

as I say in my sig .....a dremel tool and a dream. Mod on !!!!

Looks like this:
http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html <---I got that one

This one might work too...just get the multi purpose bit

http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html

I use a table saw. For straight square cuts you can't beat it. JUst don't remove protective covering till after you finish.:beer:

DONT USE AN XACTO KNIFE!!!
when you try to snap it, itll just break

a jigsaw with very fine teeth would work otherwize i got this thing that iv been using, you scrape it then snap it off but its diffrent from the xacto knifes

ill go get it and post a pic of it

here it is, its called a "RED DEVIL" and you can get them at menards or maby maby walmart but i doubt it
you use a squair or a metal ruler as the guide and scrape it till its down pretty deep the put it to the edge of a table and snap it off

i dont know how deep to go with 3/8in plexi but i have 1/8in plexi and i go half the thickness

and for the molding i have none, it looks better than with molding, you jus cut it out and file it smooth and put the window on the other side of the case side.

duct tape would work to mount the window or some bolts

Well If you have the Dremel, that's really all you need. Use the Cut-off disks to cut around the sheet. Go about halfway through the plexi around the whole window. Then flip the sheet over and go through on that side. When your done there will be molten plexi tailings on the edges of your window. They can be broken off with your fingers, and you will have a smooth edge.

Cut the hole in the case with metal cutting disks(for the dremel). I made my plexy about 1/2 inch larger than the case hole. Then I Used epoxy to glue the plexi on the back side of the case cover.

Like I said before....If you got a dremel....the kit I have a link to above is the way to go. You'll get sharp clean cuts. With no molten plexi mess. The cut off disks don't work on plexi you make a mess. Get the kit I showed you and you'll thank me later. It's the only way to go with a dremel and plexi. No mess, clean, precise cut, and best of all, fast.

You can make your self a guide to follow along with a 2x4. I clamped one to the table then lined my plexi glass up with the 2x4 to get a streight line. Then just ran my dremel along the 2x4 using it as a rail or guide to give me a perfectly streight line.

I used it on my window, and on my clear plexi water tank. Trust me...I'v messed with a lot of plexi. This kit is worth it's weight in gold. Saves time and agrivation. If you got a dremel get the kit.

scoring it on both sides is the norm roto zip or dremel will work also they would be better at wierd shapes. the scoring method would only work for straight cuts

Back