• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CryEngine2 vs CryEngine3 comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As long as cryengine3 isn't dumbed down for the pc also I'll be getting it.

I agree.

Don't want to jump to any conclusions before we see CE3 on the PC either.

Why would it be dumbed down for PC, PC's these days can handle more then consoles.

Well, I think he means since CryEngine 3 seems to have been developed to be a console friendly engine, that it would also be dumbed down for PC simply because it was designed with consoles in mind. But we won't really know until we actually see it running on a PC.

What evermind said. As long as this wasn't made specifically for consoles and isn't just a pc port I'll probably get it.

Really isn't a very good CE2 vs CE3 review. It's really a PC vs (360 + PS3) review, and of course, there's no way for those consoles to keep pace with current graphics card technology.

It's probably about equivalent to what CE3 with Low+Medium settings would be on PC. I'm not really sure if they'll even make it significantly better (over CE2) when maxed out on PC, seems like their focus has been to make CE3 for consoles; nothing about it on PC has been mentioned at all. So it'll probably run, with options to choose higher settings than the consoles, but not really be much improvement (if any) over CE2.

Yeah, it looks like CE2 to CE3 is more of a scalability improvement, than a visual improvement. Hopefully, there will be some visual improvements in the PC version, but this iteration appears to be mainly about optimization and scaling downward for consoles and weaker PCs.

It makes sense from a business standpoint, you want as many people to be able to play your game as possible, they are expanding their audience, not just on consoles, but on PC as well. Even though I thought Crysis was an excellent game, I think they made a mistake by not having it scale down to be able to run on weaker PCs. They tried to improve this with Warhead (Warhead would run at very playable framerates on a $500 PC), but the damage had been done. However, even 2 years later, Crysis is still the best looking game out there, which shows how impressive it was when it first came out, even if it did take some serious hardware to run.

Another thing that hurt them was that people who had nice systems felt they should be able to max out Crysis because they could max out any other game. However, since Crysis was intentionally built to be future-proof, most people couldn't max it out and complained that it was "poorly coded" and other such things. In reality, they could have cranked it down a notch and it would have run just fine and still looked better than anything out there. I happily played through the game on a mix of medium and high setting on my 8800 (2 years ago) and got great framerates and the game looked fantastic.

I guess we will see if they have learned their lesson with their next release. What they need is a game that looks better than anything out there when it is maxed out, but will scale down to be playable on consoles and older PCs.

I agree.

Don't want to jump to any conclusions before we see CE3 on the PC either.

Well, I think he means since CryEngine 3 seems to have been developed to be a console friendly engine, that it would also be dumbed down for PC simply because it was designed with consoles in mind. But we won't really know until we actually see it running on a PC.

Crytek stated that we can expect Crysis 2 to look better than Crysis. The reason why current CE3 footage looks worse than CE2 is because it's was running under the console spec. They explained that the engine isn't designed to run at lower visual fidelity overall, it's designed to be more flexible and offer the best possible visuals across multiple platforms.

Not bad, Im sure there will be new nice looking things. But I don't think were gonna see anything extravagant. If im not mistaken a big part of the CryEngine 3 was to give it good online play for MMOs and stuff. And also to be playable on the consoles, it seems ok.

But also remember, for the most part Crysis is using pretty traditional rendering techniques and nothing on the cutting edge, but it does have some nice features that are on the cutting edge like the terrain being based on voxels as well as clouds. Aside from that, I'm getting somewhat bored of the Crysis look. Lets see where this goes.

I have to agree with everything Leviathan41 said.

You know the part where the drum appeared out of nowhere? That happens on the PC too. Ofcourse not on the same scale because the PC can render a much larger draw distance.

I don't think the game was ever announced to be released this year but now its said to be released sometime in March 2010 or later. Will Crytek work separately to max out every console and PC separately? I doubt it. Its too much work in the given time frame. Expect to see some major articles on the internet regarding the flame wars (PC vs Consoles) when it arrives, but in my opinion the PC will have the edge of just having higher resolutions textures, AA/AF and all that which it can do with current multiplatform games. But only time will tell.

is it just me, or did that video just show how CE2 on PC is better than CE3 on PS3 :shrug:
and CE3 looked laggy...maybe that's cos of PS3's lack of FPS, or the FPS limit.

individual blurring of each object?
this is a cool feature...but woudln't that take a WHOLE lot more to render, with only a slightly better effect?
just hope it doesn't take 3 GTX285s to play. :p

It should actually be easier to play with around 'medium' quality on lower end PC's, but as for the high end we haven't seen it yet; if they'll significantly improve it (over CE2) on the high end for 'high' and 'very high' settings is yet to be seen, if they do though it'll theoretically take more power than we need for maxing out CE2... then again there's also the factor of all the optimizations they're doing, so can't be sure.

It should actually be easier to play with around 'medium' quality on lower end PC's, but as for the high end we haven't seen it yet; if they'll significantly improve it (over CE2) on the high end for 'high' and 'very high' settings is yet to be seen, if they do though it'll theoretically take more power than we need for maxing out CE2... then again there's also the factor of all the optimizations they're doing, so can't be sure.
Correct. This is one of the points I was trying to get across in my post. We don't know what their plans are for the game on high-end PCs. They could make it look equal to CE2 on a high end PC and spend all their time working at the lower end of the spectrum (consoles and older PCs), but hopefully they will spend some time improving the high end visuals of their engine.

is it just me, or did that video just show how CE2 on PC is better than CE3 on PS3 :shrug:
and CE3 looked laggy...maybe that's cos of PS3's lack of FPS, or the FPS limit.

individual blurring of each object?
this is a cool feature...but woudln't that take a WHOLE lot more to render, with only a slightly better effect?
just hope it doesn't take 3 GTX285s to play. :p

Individual blurring of a object isn't that bad of a performance hit. Its in DX10 mode in Crysis Warhead and Crysis.

Last edited:
I can't wait for their next game.

Crysanthemum

chrysanthemum.jpg

:p

- Blackstar

I can't wait for their next game.

Crysanthemum

:p

- Blackstar
Lol, if there were a game called Crysanthemum, no doubt people would complain about Crytek, even if they didn't make it. I mean people who didn't like Far Cry 2 blamed Crytek, heck some people even blamed them for Cryostasis, lol.

Lol, if there were a game called Crysanthemum, no doubt people would complain about Crytek, even if they didn't make it. I mean people who didn't like Far Cry 2 blamed Crytek, heck some people even blamed them for Cryostasis, lol.

Yea lol, that's funny. Just because they hear "Cry", they think its instantly CryEngine. lol.

Back