• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new graphic card...help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

expert87

Hi;
I recenlty tried the resident evil 5 benchamrk which turned horribly for my pc
the specifications are in my sugnature...
The 8800 GTS OC is running at:
675MHZ GPU
980 MHZ MEMORY
1200 MHZ shadder
The cpu is running at 3ghz...6mb cache
my pc got about 45-49 fps (B)on the benchmark

I oced a little...
got cpu up to 3.8ghz
gpu at 813mhz (more that that will make black squares appear on the screen)
Memory at 1250MHZ
Shadder at 2150MHZ

and all I got is about 8-10 fps difference...my pc barely got an (A)

Now...to the questions:
1)Do u advise me to get another 8800 gts and make an SLI? or would it be more economically to get one of the new x series?

2)Would the CPU be a problem after updating the graphic card (as the next bottleneck)? and how can I be sure the low fps is not caused by my cpu?

3) I noticed that the new cards have about double memory speed of the one Iam using....does it really differ? does it mean I have to concentrate on ocing the graphic memory only??

4) What else to expect as a cause of the low fps?

Thanks

Last edited:
Okay well your card is a bit older now so that is why it is getting lower fps than you would like to see. You can pick up a GTX260 Core 216 for cheap to hold you off until you upgrade your whole system and get much better frames than you are now with your current cpu at 3.8ghz. I say go for it. SLI will only work in certain games, so you may not see an increase in all your games.

Unfortunately I know nothing of the new graphic cards...which one are the best? and which ones are the worst?

1) Buy a new card. 260 216, 4870 are good and cheap. If you want more buy a 4890 or 275.
2) At 3.8ghz no CPU bottleneck.
3) Dont worry about clock speeds on graphics cards too much, if its a different generation chip you cant compare both... thats like saying a P4 @ 3.0 ghz is just as good as your e8400.
4) Crappy coded game? Most likely a port. In any case ~50 FPS with that card is nothing to complain about considering Resident evil 5 is a recent title.

Details can be found everywhere. Its easiest for us to help if you listed a budget you would like to spend on a new card. The GTX260 216 is a great card. If you want a top to bottom listing here it is

GTX295
GTX285
GTX275
GTX260 216
GTX250

HD4870x2
HD4890
HD4870
DH4850

I hope that helps.

I take it simple :)
1024 * 768

one question though...my rams are ocz 2pc*2gb @ 800MHZ
can I oc them to 900 or 1000mhz?
what voltage do i have to set them on? and what timing??
can it inflect any damage if it goes wrong?

It is OKAY to hate ATI I hate nVidia but I am running one of their cards because it suits my needs. Dont let your hatred cause your decisions to be rash. Point is both are good but if you FOLD or do other DC or CUDA apps then nVidia is your choice.

You are running a slichipset so I would stay away from the ATi unless you go for an x2. Personally I would go 2x 260 216 cards for the money.

1024x768 is more CPU heavy then anything. That is a TINY resolution to pump anything more through it then you already have really. I would say nothing more then a HD4850 512MB or GTX250 would suffice. At that res you should be overclocking your CPU to help out.

they do cost more than that where I live...unfortunately :(
my current card is less than 1 year old and it cost me about 250$
and unfortunately newegg can't get to where I live :(
at this rate....a 275 might cost 300 or 350$ "I'll be lucky if it does"

so I guess I'll try to buy what ever my bidget can get
what about the ram clocking?

can I oc them to 900 or 1000mhz?

what voltage do i have to set them on? and what timing??
can it inflect any damage if it goes wrong?
As far as your overclocking, I would suggest you read the guide by GRASKY. That will help you out tremendously.

But some quick answers..

1. You may be able to get to 900Mhz, doubtful on 1k. You didnt list timings or stock voltages so that is purely a guess.
2. See last part of #1
2a. See
3. Yes.

It is OKAY to hate ATI I hate nVidia but I am running one of their cards because it suits my needs. Dont let your hatred cause your decisions to be rash. Point is both are good but if you FOLD or do other DC or CUDA apps then nVidia is your choice.

You are running a slichipset so I would stay away from the ATi unless you go for an x2. Personally I would go 2x 260 216 cards for the money.
Did you see the meager res he plays on? SLI/Crossfire would be a monumental waste of money at 1024x768.

Also, Nvida on ATI/Intel chipsets and ATI on Nvidia chipsets work just fine. You just dont have the option of SLI/Crossfire. :thup:

Mr. EarthDog
the link you gave me is an msi card!!
I thought good cards come only from evga or bfg...am I correct?

At such a low res your better off overclocking your CPU as much as possible to see how much that improves your performance.

Back