• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What was your first computer upgrade and the first system you built from scratch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First upgrade was doubling the ram (8mb to 16mb) in an Acer Pentium 166mhz system.
First "from scratch" was an Athlon 2500+, 512mb, Geforce 4, 80 gig HDD.

Very first upgrade that I can remember, was add 4 Mb of RAM to my 90Mhz P54C machine. Then later, not sure if it can be considered an upgrade, but I swapped cases...I remember it vividly because it still had a "Turbo" button on it and it boggled the hell out of me, had to ask my old man what it was.:bday:

My very first top to bottom build was a K6-2 300Mhz with 64 Mb of RAM, SoundBlaster 16 bit? sound card and an amazing Voodoo Rush (year later updated to Riva TNT).

I can't remember exactly what I did first... it was either changing a clock crystal to run my 286 at 14mhz, or adding an expanded memory card to the same machine.

The first computer I built completely from scratch was a Socket 7 Pentium, I forget exactly what it started out as, I think maybe a P133 and 16 or so MB of RAM. It changed around a lot, so I don't recall every different permutation of it. Before that I was just taking prebuilt/barebones systems and upgrading them.

The first real PC I bought, not including an Atari computer I had, was a 386 from Circuit City. I think I paid a grand for it and it didn't even have anything but DOS on it. :)

Well apart from upgrading Amiga's and doing some tinkering with 486's (I was all for Amigas back then, didn't like PC's much) The first system I built goes something like this:

PentiumII 350
64MB SDRAM
something like a 6GB HDD
and if I remember right, a TNT2 M64 32MB

All hooked upto a 17" CRT that weighed about the same as a small car, lol

Don't get me started on CRT's! I'm a big guy and i nearly put my back out taking an old 17" to the skip last week!

Don't get me started on CRT's! I'm a big guy and i nearly put my back out taking an old 17" to the skip last week!

Yeah they were a right pain to move about. I think mine was a Phillips 107B, it was that heavy it always used to bend my desks after a few month!

My last CRT was an NEC syncmaster 21". I had to get a desk that was 3' deep to have room for the keyboard and mouse in front of it!
And yeah, I lugged it upstairs to my son's room where he uses it.
Oy!

lol uhhhh
it was a AMD Athlon 2100+
2GB Kingston RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 256MB
some no name case/PSU combo

it was awesome!

My last CRT was an NEC syncmaster 21". I had to get a desk that was 3' deep to have room for the keyboard and mouse in front of it!
And yeah, I lugged it upstairs to my son's room where he uses it.
Oy!

Haha I have that same CRT and man, that thing weighs as much as a MINI Cooper. Still works great considering is close to 10 years old.

Back