• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running with no peripherals panel (on back of case)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

airflow

Registered
running with no IO shield panel (on back of case)

I think thats what you'd call it, the panel at the back of a case that masks the ps2 ports / usb ports, on-board sound ports etc

Would there be anything wrong with simply removing this panel and running without it?

I've removed it from my case easily enough (had motherboard out before doing so), and leaving it out will make it easier to refit the motherboard.

I figure it will also allow for a bit more air flow through the case, near where the cpu is especially.

I'm wondering whether this panel is fullfilling any other purpose, since it has springy metal tabs contacting the metal sections of those ports on the mboard, plus there is a springy tab on the ps2 port thing that contact this panel. I guess it could be for additional earthing?

I'm thinking I'd like to remove it anyway and run without it. pic attached.

Attachments

• peripheralspanel.jpg
    peripheralspanel.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
That's your IO shield, I believe it offers grounding point, and some physical support for the sockets, and keeps you from accidently shoving a mic/headphone plug in and contacting the motherboard.

It doesn't hurt anything, and gives a modicum of protection. Best to leave it.

That's your IO shield, I believe it offers grounding point, and some physical support for the sockets, and keeps you from accidently shoving a mic/headphone plug in and contacting the motherboard.

It doesn't hurt anything, and gives a modicum of protection. Best to leave it.

Fair enough, if I decide to leave it in, I'll at least try to squish in some of the springy tabs on the panel so their not as much in the way when fitting the motherboard.

I also find that without the I/O shield a lot more dust builds up directly on the motherboard. Usually this means cleaning the dust out of your PC on a regular basis to avoid overheating and things like that. In my experience, it is best to leave the I/O shield in tact for this reason and the reasons stated above.

Most of the time above the I/O shield area is a fan slot, make use of that to ensure proper airflow of the area near the CPU, which should work just fine. Good luck!

Matt

cheers, yeah, I managed to keep the io panel, I squished some of the springy tabs down a bit with some pliers and even cut a few off with some side cutters. After doing that I still managed to fit the motherboard the way i wanted to and the ps2 ports were still earthing to the io panel as it looks like they are supposed to..

Yeah, those tabs tend to get in the way at times. I don't see much harm in removing them as long as there isn't a gap between the panel and the motherboard.

Glad you got it all figured out.
:)

Matt

Many times I've run systems without an IO shield. The only reason I don't like to is it looks ugly... I clean my PCs regularly anyway so I could care less about the space when there's no IO shield.

Glad you got it figured out, though. :)

Also, depending on the manufacturer, you could always call up the mobo manuf and ask them for a replacement. They sometimes send manual/CD and io shield for free, but not all of them will do that. Some of them will charge like $7 (forget which one charged me that amount).

Back