• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattyAsia

I'm looking at getting a new computer maybe this month or next, though hardware is barely my specialty. I use my PC for gaming, programming, surfing the web, chatting, and music editing often all at once. But importantly gaming speed and compiling speeds should be fast.
I'm trying to figure out what I should build and any input would be great.

I'm trying to decide whether to get a Q9550 or i7 920.
It seems the i7 920 is newer, however the cache and speed seems lower on the newer one.
You can see tech specs about each here: Q9550, i7-920
For the motherboard, I have no idea.
Video Card: I'm looking into those after this post (perhaps more after dinner).
Sound Card: Built in is fine for me.
Ram: Depends on board in some ways but expecting 2-4GB.

This all being said, I have money, but insane amounts. So unfortunately, the extreme things are out of my range. Any help is appreciated.
I do push my computer pretty hard.
Bare in mind, my field is software, not hardware, please bare with my ignorance.

I love that website, thank you, it makes the decision simple.
At the moment I can't play many games, as even Guild Wars on low settings is a bit much for my laptop. I'd like to try a lot of the new games, but since I moved to China, I've been running on a less than stable laptop, already a few years.
I'll be learning to write direct x too, if that helps. I'll want to try some high end games, but wont need the highest. Sorry to be so abstract, but I've been without a gaming PC so long, I'm out of touch with the current games. - Something I intend to fix.
I usually like to run my screen resolution at 1280 x 800, 32 bit.
Though I will be buying a new monitor too, so I will probably want to stretch it to something that can give me more real estate as well.

China huh, way less freedom there.

That's what I thought before I came here, I was proved very wrong, it's not what you'd expect or like the news says.

Anyway, If I were to go with the i7-920, what is everyones advice on an mobo and gfx card?

Back