• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a HDD mirroring software??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GMdoubleG

Hello all,

I have a good friend who has an older laptop with an 80GB HDD that contains everything including his OS. He just bought a 250GB HDD to replace the one he has now and he wants to switch them out. His main problem is he has lost all the DVDs that came with the laptop including his XP Home Edition DVD with the activation code. Is there a freeware program, or inexpensive program, that will mirror his old HDD to his new HDD?

I have no experience with this kind of stuff so any suggestions will be great!!

Thanks

acronis true image home. works awesome. use it all the time. The best way to probably do it would be to have an external hd and use the acronics bootable media on a flash drive or cd... boot up the acronis boot cd and do a full backup of the 80gb to the external... then put the new hd in and restore to the new hd.

I assume everything will go smoothly, but if it doesn't, I can just plug the 80GB HDD back into the laptop and it will be the same, correct? The acronis program doesn't alter the files on the drive in any way?

Acronis True Image home is well-worth the price. Sometimes Newegg even has it for under $10.

I have heard of this thing called "ghosting". I think that does what u are asking... i dont really know though, iv just hear that term thrown around a few times :D

I have heard of this thing called "ghosting". I think that does what u are asking... i dont really know though, iv just hear that term thrown around a few times :D

Ghosting refers to cloning with Norton/Symantec Ghost :bday:

ohh, normally when I see the word "Norton" I run as fast as I can the other direction :D

Ghost is not bad, and was the standard for a long time. I also recommend Acronis TI been running it since build 7 and love it. Great for installing OSes onto raid setups too :)

Back