• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wouldnt you know it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark bishop

So close to a million and my rigs goes caput.

Since i added the gtx285 to my water cooling loop, temps went up so clocks had to go down. Installed another radiator to help but my Dfi is dieing. The first pcie slot on it is dead but everything else seems to be working, but i think my power supply is also on its way out or the motherboard isn't sending full signal to it and shutdown and whatnot. Ive tested it on my 5000+ and 8800gt rig and it works fine there but i don't think that's really a comparable load to my main rig.

Will test the motherboard tomorrow and figure just how dead it is, then call dfi and see if i can get an rma because i have never actually leaked anything on it or smacked it against a wall so hopefully its covered, if not i have to pull 100+ dollars out my *** for another motherboard and then pray that my psu isn't dead also.

This royally blows, just thought id let you all know.

Hopefully it's just the mobo DB... that really sucks... I've had pretty good experiences with DFI, although I haven't owned any others since the infamous NF4 LanParty series. Still have two Ultra-Ds in the house sitting idle... it's kinda sentimental. ;)

Folding is a hardcore way of life thus many components will be lost....but not forgotten!

best of luck getting that beast folding again!

gurh, DFI's rma policy doesnt cover chips cracked due to acts of god, luckily its only 60$ to repair, then i do the math and realise thats half what i payed for it in the first place.

Glad you were able to get the board fixed, but if they would have told me $60 for a chip that was cracked, I would have told them to keep it. It could have been from an improperly installed heatsink or something like that, and if you left the stock sinks on the board, it couldn't possibly be your fault. It could have also been a chip that was defective from the factory, and just waited til now to die. It could have been a number of things that happened in manufacturing, or it could not. I have only had to RMA one mobo, to BioStar, and they replaced it without question with burnt traces on the backside. They did make it hard to get ahold of them via email, but a quick phone call took care of the whole thing, they even emailed me a shipping label. I just have trouble convincing myself to pay for something when it could have just as easily been a manufacturing defect.

Did they ever tell you what the cracked chip was, and what might have cracked it? My luck runs the same way most of the time it seems. Sorry to hear about the PSU, and wish I had one to offer up. Hopefully you can get one fairly easily, or get an RMA on the bad one if it's still under warranty. Good luck.

the very corner of the northbridge cracked and was just held in place by the glue stuff around the edge.

im gonna call silverstone and see if i can get an rma on it, though its doubtful since i dropped a screw or two in it and had to open it up to get them out. thats such a stupid rule that i cant openit, ive gotta send it back to them just to have some screws removed by theyre techs.

good news is i think this is the cleanest wireing and tube routing job ive ever done.

Back