• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell laptop won't start up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roisen

It won't even post. The Power light comes on for a few seconds then turns back off.

Any ideas where to start, or has anyone else experienced this?

Also, when my aunt tried taking it into Best Buy for repair, they sold her a "Personal Geek Squad Disc". Does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• CIMG0104.jpg
    CIMG0104.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 148
Try pulling the battery...try pulling the hard drive and ram and see if does anything different. If not you're down the CPU or motherboard and if you don't have either to swap out you're stuck. If you have a DMM you can check the output of the AC adapter.

It won't even post. The Power light comes on for a few seconds then turns back off.

Any ideas where to start, or has anyone else experienced this?

Also, when my aunt tried taking it into Best Buy for repair, they sold her a "Personal Geek Squad Disc". Does anyone know what it is?

personal geek squad disc

I had to google that, just out of curiosity...didn't find any hits but I suspect it just to be a collection(toolbox) of system diagnostic or cleanup software that's likely readily available free on download. I hope you Aunt didn't pay a lot for that disc; BB follows unscrupulous business practices and makes a ton of $$ from the unwary.

As for the hardware issue, follow Trap05's advice and see what happens.

I've ruled just about everything out except for making sure the battery and charger are at the voltages they should be, and clearing the cmos.

I've looked everywhere for a clear cmos jumper and can't find one. This is on a Dell Latitude 9200. I've put about four hours into searching for it online, but if anyone happens to know how to reset the cmos on this thing, let me know!

Normally what they tell you to do is remove the AC and battery and hold in the power button for 30 seconds or more...It never works but you should try it anyways.

Back