• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error Message with Wolfenstein 09

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

Okay I could really use some help for this game as my I just bought this game for a dear friend of mine.

After installing Wolfenstein 09 I select Play and the following message says something like, "Unable to initialize video system."

After reading more this is what I discovered in one of the reports:

"Unable to create D3D Device, error code 0x8876086c"

The system specs are:
Dell Experion
Windows Vista (32-bit)
CPU: 2.93 GHz Intel Cor 2 Duo (320 MB of video memory)
RAM: 2 GB
GPU: Intel G33-G31 Express Chipset Family

***I've run updates on the Device Manager for the Intel G33 chipset and installed K-Lite codecs and still no luck. Plus I have the latest Direct X version.

Yeah...Is this bad? lol

He's had the PC for no more than a year I believe.

Probably because the game does not support integrated video, or that one specifically. Some games are now specifically stating they do not support those or even laptop versions of GPUs. I bet it would run like crap anyway to the point it wouldn't even be playable.

There's a reason these are printed ON the box. This is like a sin in PC Gaming.

I'm confused. Because even the DVD cases within the sleeve have the system requirements printed on them. Especially the fact that this branded with Games For Windows.

So does it look like I'm going to need to upgrade and add at least an NVIDIA VGA?

Or will any drivers update work?

Yeah, you will need a video card. First make sure the machine has an available PCI-E slot and then you can pick up a cheap card that's above the minimum requirements.

Good luck! :)

I would be surprised if the game couldn't run on GeForce 8200/8300/9300 or Radeon HD3200/4200 integrated graphics. These integrated graphics chips actually provide "playable" framerates at low resolution and quality settings, even for many relatively new games. For example, both chipsets can run ET:Quake Wars, and Wolfenstein 2009 is based on the ETQW engine.

However, the integrated graphics on Intel G33 are crap compared to the ones I listed above. It's not surprising to me that this particular chipset can't run Wolf 2009.

Alright thanks everyone for the help.

As some of you stated before I should have read the system requirements but at Wal Mart they sell them with just the DVD case (and NO there are no requirements to be found).

The gift was for my Dad so I could have inspected his PC first.

HOWEVER, lol, I did purchase an NVIDIA 9600 GT, installed it into his PC and the game works like a charm!

You guys rule.

Alright thanks everyone for the help.

As some of you stated before I should have read the system requirements but at Wal Mart they sell them with just the DVD case (and NO there are no requirements to be found).

The gift was for my Dad so I could have inspected his PC first.

HOWEVER, lol, I did purchase an NVIDIA 9600 GT, installed it into his PC and the game works like a charm!

You guys rule.

9600gt should run that game quite well... hope your dad is enjoying it :beer:

Back