• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Tips & Tweaks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank you kind sir! I saw you had to do some trimming to get it to take less space on your netbook. You've made the list with the post on trimming Win7's install. :beer:

Wow good reading.

Problem Steps Recorder is a miracle app. Does anyone know if there is such a thing for Windows XP/Vista?

They were touting it as a first for Win7 (very big for intra-company tech support), so it will probably be a third party application if it exists at all for XP/Vista.

Darnit, you're supposed to wait for me to ask you and then go through me so I get partial credit! ;)

Seriously though, excellent work. Congrats on the front page. If you come up with any additional ideas for articles, PM me. :beer:

Got it, looks handy. Thanks!

EDIT - Just wanted to point out how amusing it is that NO ONE reads stickies. The "Singular Microsoft OS Sticky" has 1,300 views. This post has 1,748. Screwy I tell you! :screwy::bang head

Last edited:
Chris Pirillo just finished an eBook on tips, tweaks and tricks for Windows 7. He's charging $7.

Consumer Reports, November 2009 issue. Ask Our Expert section. A New Jersey man asks "Should I upgrade from my current Vista OS to the new Windows 7?"

Consumer Reports expert answers: "Yes, but only if your computer can handle it" :) adding "Microsoft advises against upgrading from Windows XP."

Ahahahaha (good one).

Has anyone found a third party software firewall that is verbose with traffic. I used Sygate in XP and it kicked butt. I want something for my w7 box to do the same.

EDIT: and is FREE

Last edited:
It's been a year since I tried to find a 64-bit firewall for Vista on my parents' laptop and ended up going with a third-party application just to control the Windows firewall because I couldn't find any good options. Plus it was easier not having to troubleshoot a complicated firewall from four hours away telling someone who has no idea what they're doing what to do.

Perhaps that has changed, but there were very few options a little while ago.

Comodo is to firewall software what Avira is to Antivirus software: Free and tested to beat most pay-for apps.

Strangely, Windows 7 firewall does not detect attempts to send your data OUT of your system (it can only block incoming traffic) so I disable Win7 firewall and install COMODO Firewall only, and UNCHECK everything else like antivirus when installing since Avira is a better Antivirus program.

Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Firewall security Level > Custom Policy Mode.
Start the program > Miscellaneous > Settings > General TAB > Update setting

Miscellaneous > Manage my configurations to Import/Export settings
(select COMODO Firewall Security for Blocked/Trusted programs)

Give a unique name to newly imported settings, then after importing go to
Miscellaneous > Manage my configurations > Click on the unique name > Activate

Firewall > Common Tasks > Define any New Trusted/Blocked Applications
Firewall > Advanced > Firewall Behavior Settings > Alert Settings > Very Low (Shows only one alert per application) > Apply

To view a list of blocked/trusted applications: Firewall > Advanced > Network Security Policy

Warning: Even if you exit COMODO Firewall, it will still block access to other computers on the network if the following are blocked under Firewall > Advanced > Network Security Policy:

System
Allow And Log IP In/Out From IP Any Where Protocol Is Any
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Allow And Log IP In/Out From IP Any Where Protocol Is Any

You can enable outbound filtering in the Win7 firewall, but you'll have to create a new outbound rule for each application that you want to allow access.

I disable Win7 firewall and install COMODO Firewall only, and UNCHECK everything else like antivirus when installing since Avira is a better Antivirus program.
I'm going to try this now.... Thank you! Sygate was great because it told me what apps were phoning home....

EDIT: Wow, this is very nice.... I like it alot... Add this to the list...!

Last edited:
Back