• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been Away for a While

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Power & Thermal Data Sheet (pub. #43375) doesn't show NB power min/max for single-plane, those are marked "N/A". Only the dual-plane spec shows NB min/max.
They get combined to form the TDP instead. ;)

It's hard to measure what each CPU component pulls in current when they're all fed power through one source.

phenom x3 720 2.8

get a GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H
or similar and try for a 4th core unlock
got mine unlocked at at 3.4 with no heat issues what so ever had it up to 3.8 but i dont like to mess with my volts so i stay low lol

RJ what you gonna do with your setup when you build your new system?Your system was totally top of the line a few years back and i bet can still hold its own.They just dont build mobos like the DFI Ultra D any more.I still miss my opty 165 / 2x1gbs of Corsair XMS PC4400 and my DFI NF4 Ultra D modded to SLI and my two Evga 6800GS's

RJ what you gonna do with your setup when you build your new system?Your system was totally top of the line a few years back and i bet can still hold its own.They just dont build mobos like the DFI Ultra D any more.I still miss my opty 165 / 2x1gbs of Corsair XMS PC4400 and my DFI NF4 Ultra D modded to SLI and my two Evga 6800GS's
ooops sorry been away again sorry I don't know yet Im going to Pick up the EVGA 260 VC still trying to decide on the rest I'm hitting 3g with this set up but I'm the one for new tech stuff......

Dual 4-pin might provide a more stable supply from the PSU but I've not seen any tests/studies done on whether or not that's true. It might be more a matter of PSU quality than how many 4-pin connections are used.
It definitely helps but only at the high power range. After you've taken the CPU ~170W. Before and after that range, the VRM section matters much more.

So Ice why do you not recommend The MSI GD70 ? OOPS I think I misunderstood your post....

Last edited:
Ok I dug a little deeper:

MSI GD70 MB $163.99
Sapphire Radeon HD4890 $194.99
G skill F3-1600CL9D-4GBRH $119.99
AMD Phenom II x4 965 $199.99

any thoughts or changes? I want the AMD chipset and I want Crossfire VC later on....

Last edited:
any reason you didnt decide on going with a 5 series card
Well I was looking at this:SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

but chose the other from most of the talk here ppl seem to like the 4890 other than that is has a different bit rate 256 v 128 and clock is higher.....

I can suggest better RAM. If you want GSkill then how about these?

Exactly the same RAM except CAS 7.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231279

Essentially the same RAM @ CAS7 but a little cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

A cheaper alternative and one of my favoraites, OCZ Platinum 1333 @ CAS7.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227478

All have free shipping so even if you're not buying the rest at Newegg you're not loosing money. :)

So Ice why do you not recommend The MSI GD70 ? OOPS I think I misunderstood your post....
The MD70 seems to be good board ... ;)

Last edited:
Great!!! Thanks for your input Ice....... everything else ok?.........this is all new technology for me sooo..Im gonna need help lol BTW I do want to run dual VC eventually

Last edited:
Back