• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Erm... Where is Custom Search in Windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, the date is there but although the size is there, you can't set custom size, only predefined few ranges set by Microsoft.

Look at the last option: Gigantic. Gigantic is anything over 128MB. Gee, 1995 called and they want their gigantic back.

Attachments

• Search3.jpg
    Search3.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 4,186
  • Search4.jpg
    Search4.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 4,430
  • SLAP.GIF
    SLAP.GIF
    680 bytes · Views: 4,412
Last edited:
I have a feeling that this feature was "optimized" for a mainstream implementation that probably feels faster to the standard user and thus generates positive feedback. You appear to be in the lonely minority :\

...so by that reasoning, removing the date *option* and the size *option* (such as it is)... would be optimizing the search!? :bang head

Last edited:
...so by that reasoning, removing the date *option* and the size *option* (such at is)... would be optimizing the search!? :bang head

All I'm saying is that Microsoft used this bizarre approach when creating that special interface on Office 07. They surveyed people and used focus groups to try and determine a better interface implementation. The design approach there is that the most used features are right in front of you while the others are tucked away. They completely forgot about the people who are already used to things being in a certain place in Office 03. Their philosophy seems to be that if you don't fit into the most used category, tough turkey, it is what it is. I don't search very often in Windows, much less do I specify size or date. I'll certainly play around with it when I get home and see if I can offer you any solace but this type of thing shouldn't be a surprise to anyone familiar with Microsoft :p

They usually have a reason as bizarre as it may be. it would be interesting to find out what it is. By the way, when you said "tucked away", it isn't. It's nowhere on the operating system.

All I'm saying is that "What do you want to do that for?" is not an answer you give to someone asking if they can search through all the files on their system.

dang it i thought i just wasn't being persistent enough in trying to find it. This function really doesn't exist? why on earth would they do this. I don't think i'm going to be able to buy llarge hard drives anymore because of this failure or else i will never find my data on em. (terrible terrible workaround might be to go into xp mode :))

They usually have a reason as bizarre as it may be. it would be interesting to find out what it is. By the way, when you said "tucked away", it isn't. It's nowhere on the operating system.

All I'm saying is that "What do you want to do that for?" is not an answer you give to someone asking if they can search through all the files on their system.

...and the greater point is it's more difficult than it should be for ease of use. I like my radio button idea. You could click that for the most common search filters, then have another button in there with advanced search which would cover anything anybody would ever want. Just like Google does for their search.

Possible solution?

Real life example. 5 minutes ago I needed to find a text file containing the word 'fear'. I have two machines with identical contents in front of me. One is XP, the other 7.

XP finds it in less than a second using the *.txt parameter, Windows 7 spits out twenty files of all types (now what?)

So I tried using 7 to search like this:
*.txt fear

and it only returned the one .txt file containing the word 'fear'! Aha. So is there some list of manual search options for Windows 7 anywhere out there?

But I've noticed something else which I will need more proof on. Windows 7 RTM search engine doesn't always return the search term hits even though they are there. I copied the entire folder to C:\

and did the search again and found zero results with no option to search inside file contents. I need to repeat this with different specific examples to really conclude that the search engine is not only search options limited but buggy too.

I can also reliably and consistently crash Windows 7 search engine by going to a specific folder and using a specific term on my machine. Once I move the folder to another location, the search engine no longer crashes but it no longer returns hits I know are there either.

Last edited:
Well, I just had a look at MS's FAQ for searches (it's here...don't bother). It offers this astute piece of advice:
How can I get more efficient results when using Windows Search?
Windows Search has a new search builder, which allows you to quickly define and narrow your search results for an even more targeted outcome. You can use a variety of dynamic filters to restrict queries to specific locations, file types, or file properties. To use the search builder, click the Search box in Windows Explorer. You’ll see a drop-down list of filters that you can use in your search. To add a filter, click it and then choose a dynamic value. For example, open your Documents library in Windows Explorer. Then, click the Search box, click Type:, and click one of the file types that the Search box displays. Windows Explorer generates this list dynamically based on the contents of the library.
Which is just brilliant because "Windows Explorer generates this list dynamically based on the contents of the library." ....so you have to know where your file is to search for it.

I also thought you'd get a kick out of this:
Does Windows 7 help me spend less time searching?
Yes. In Windows 7, Windows Explorer can help make sifting through search results easier. The Content view displays an excerpt from supported document types and highlights matching keywords. You can also preview supported file types in the Preview pane. These features can help you find the right document quickly without having to open each document to see its contents.
My apologies that this doesn't help you attain your goal, but I figured a good laugh at MS may help you get through it. :beer:

Ninja EDIT -
So I tried using 7 to search like this:
*.txt fear

and it only returned the one .txt file containing the word 'fear'! Aha. So is there some list of manual search options for Windows 7 anywhere out there?
Maybe try searching via instinct like this again to see how it works for you. Is it possible, however unlikely, that MS actually improved it to be *gasp* intuitive?

Yeah. Kind of like when MS Reps giving presentations try not to answer any questions, and if someone actually manages to shout one at them, they say "Just Bing it!" (True story.) :D

But more to the point, what are they talking about "drop-down list.."!? There are only two and of those two, the second one is a joke because you can't specify a size, just a few size ranges. Look:

Attachments

• Search5.jpg
    Search5.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1,038
you realize that you can just type what you want next to those filters, you don't have to pick from the drop down. i.e. you can search "size:128kb" to get all files that are 128kb

edit: and there are "Indexing Options" in the control panel, where you can tell it which file types to index, which to not, and which file types you want it to index the contents of.

I realized that in post#28 above.

I then asked where's the list of manual filters like that?

if you realized that in #28, why'd you say you can't specify a size in post #31? and look what happens when i just start randomly typing and clicking things? they keep suggesting new filters:

kind:=document type:.txt datemodified:‎8/‎19/‎2009 size:4gb name:tod folderpath:c:\ tags:debauchery

How about just covering the Windows XP basic searches. I'll help fill this in and you can help and put that in your useful Windows shortcut thread.

• Date: date:
• Extension: *.exe [an example for *.exe extension]
• Size: size:
• System Folders: This option appears to be on by default on Windows 7.
• Hidden Files & Folders: This option appears to be on by default on Windows 7.

• Date Modified: modified:
• Date Created: created:
• Date Accessed: accessed:
• Date Before: before:8/25/2009
• Date After: after:8/25/2009
• Date Range: 8/1/09..8/25/09

• Type: kind:

• Size: size:
• Size limit: >50KB [or <50KB]
• Size Range: 50MB..70MB

• Subfolders on/off: This option appears to be on by default on Windows 7.

To look for something specific, be sure to add asterisk * before and after search term and * as an extension.

For example, if searching for a + sign:
Enclose the plus sign(s) within asterisks, for example *+*.*, *++*.*, *+++*.*, etc., and make sure to either add an asterisk as the extension, or include a known extension like *.jpg for example.

Last edited:
just for you C6
via: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/advquery.mspx

Code:
Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax

Once you have Windows Search for Windows Vista or Windows XP, you might be wondering how you can be even more efficient when it comes to finding files and e-mail on your PC. Advanced Query Syntax (AQS) can help you do just that. Using AQS, you can quickly define and narrow your searches for even more targeted results.
You can narrow your searches using a variety of keywords, or search parameters, which can restrict your query to specific locations, specific file types or properties within those types, or specific "file kinds." File kinds are displayed at the top of the Windows Search Explorer, accessible by pressing the Windows Logo key + F.
To match a specific string literally, without it being interpreted as a keyword, you can use double quotation marks. Words in a search query entered between quotation marks are matched exactly, in the order they were entered.
The example tables below give you an overview of syntax that can be used with Windows Search 4.0, Windows Vista, or Windows Desktop Search 3.01 for Windows XP, including the properties that can be added to your search terms to narrow and refine your results.
Search syntax
	Property	Example	Function	

author:name
author:patrick
Finds items with patrick in the author property.

author:(name)
author:(patrick hines)
Finds items with patrick in the Author property.

author:(name OR name)
author:(patrick OR bob)
Finds items with patrick or bob in the Author property.

author:name name
author:patrick bob
Finds items with patrick in the Author property and bob anywhere in the document.

Finds items with patrick in either fromName OR fromAddress, since "from" is a property name for both fromName and fromAddress.

before:date
before:10/9/2007
Finds items whose PrimaryDate field contains a date before 10/9/2007.

after:date
after:10/9/2007
Finds items whose PrimaryDate field contains a date after 10/9/2007.

has:attachment
report has:attachment
Finds items containing the word report that have attachments. Same as hasattachment:true

is:attachment
report is:attachment
Finds items that have attachments containing the word report. Same as isattachment:true

Numbers and ranges
To specify a date range, type the property followed by two dates. For example, type from:david sent:11/05/06..11/05/07. Windows Search recognizes all Windows date formats and also recognizes the following values:
Relative dates: Today, tomorrow, yesterday
Multi-word relative dates: week, next month, last week, past month, or coming year. The values can also be entered contracted, as follows: thisweek, nextmonth, lastweek, pastmonth, comingyear.
Days: Sunday, Monday ... Saturday
Months: January, February ... December

Size and date ranges
	Syntax	Results	

size:>50KB <70KB
Searches for files with a value in the Size between50 KB and 70 KB, excluding the end values.

size:>=50KB <=70KB
Searches for files with a value in the Size property between 50 KB and 70 KB, including the end values.

size:50KB..70KB
Same as size:>=50KB <=70KB

date:>2/7/05<2/10/05
Searches for a date in the Date property between the values 2/7/05 and 2/10/05, excluding the end dates.

date:>=2/7/05<=2/10/05
Searches for a date in the Date property between the values 2/7/05 and 2/10/05, including the end dates.

date:2/7/05 .. 2/10/05
Same as date:>=2/7/05<=2/10/05

Note: on Windows Vista and higher, search syntax supports dates in the user’s current calendar. A query can use any of the formats defined in their Regional Options.

Common file properties
The terms listed in the preceding table can be used with any of the following file properties. For example, to find e-mail from "patrick" that was sent in 2008, your query would look like this: kind:email author:patrick after:12/31/2007.
	To restrict by file type	Use	Example	

Communications
communications
kind:communications

Contacts
contacts
person
kind:person
kind:contacts

email
kind:email

Instant Messenger conversations
im
kind:im

Meetings
meetings
kind:meetings

Tasks
tasks
kind:tasks

Notes
notes
kind:notes

Documents
docs
kind:docs

Music
music
song
kind:music
kind:song

Pictures
pics
pictures
kind:pics
kind:pictures

Videos
videos
kind:videos

Folders
folders
kind:folders

Folder name
foldername
foldername:mydocs

Programs
programs
kind:programs

Recorded TV
tv
kind:tv

Link
link
kind:link

Journal entry
journal
kind:journal

To restrict by file store
If you use multiple e-mail accounts and you want to limit a query to either Microsoft Office Outlook or Outlook Express, you can use the store: indicator to narrow your search scope.
	Store	Use	Example	

Files
file
store:file

Offline Files
csc
store:csc

Outlook
mapi
store:mapi

Outlook Express
outlookexpress
store:outlookexpress

Properties for file type: All
	Property	Use	Example	

Title
title, subject, about
title:manager

Status
status

Date
date
date:lastweek

Date modified
datemodified, modified
modified:lastweek

Importance
importance, priority
importance:high

Size
size
size:>50MB

Deleted
deleted,isdeleted
isdeleted:true

Is attachment
isattachment
isattachment:false

To
to, toname
to:johnsmith

Cc
cc, ccname
cc:david

Company
company
company:adventure-works

Category
category
category:business

Keywords
keywords
keywords:sports

Album
album
album:greatest

File name
filename, file
filename:2006hits

Genre
genre
genre:jazz

Author
author, by
author:david

Folder
folder, under, path
folder:adminstration

Ext
ext, fileext
ext:.rtf

Tags
tag, keyword
tag:personal

Type
type
type:image

Properties for file type: Contact
	Property	Use	Example	

Job title
jobtitle
jobtitle:manager

IM address
imaddress
imaddress:[email protected]

Assistant's phone
assistantsphone
assistantsphone:555-1212

Assistant name
assistantname
assistantname:roberto

Profession
profession
profession:accountant

Nickname
nickname
nickname:louis

Spouse
spouse
spouse:susana

Business city
businesscity
businesscity:redmond

Business postal code
businesspostalcode
businesspostalcode:98052

Business home page
businesshomepage
businesshomepage:[url]www.adventure-works.com[/url]

Callback phone number
callbacknumber
callbacknumber:882-8080

Car phone
carphone
carphone:555-1212

Children
children
children:anna

First name
firstname
firstname:maria

Last name
lastname
lastname

Home fax
homefax
homefax:555-1212

Manager's name
manager
manager:carlos

Pager
pager
pager:882-8080

Business phone
businessphone
businessphone:555-1212

Home phone
homephone
homephone:555-1212

Mobile phone
mobilephone
mobilephone:882-8080

Office
officelocation
officelocation:red/101

Anniversary
anniversary
anniversary:yesterday

Birthday
birthday
birthday:tomorrow

Properties for file type: Communications (e-mail, appointments)
	Property	Use	Example	

From
from, organizer

Received
received, sent
sent:yesterday

Subject
subject, title
subject:budget

Has attachment
hasattachment, hasattachments
hasattachment:true

Attachments
attachments, attachment
attachment:presentation.ppt

Bcc
bcc, bccname
bcc:michael

Bcc address
bccaddress, bcc
bccaddress:[email protected]

Cc address
ccaddress, cc
ccaddress:[email protected]

Follow-up flag
flagstatus
flagstatus:followup
flagstatus:unflagged
flagstatus:completed

To address
toaddress, to
toaddress:[email protected]

Due date
duedate, due
due:10/15/2008

Read
read, isread
isread:false

Is completed
iscompleted
iscompleted:true

Incomplete
incomplete
incomplete:true

Has flag
hasflag, isflagged
hasflag:false

Duration
duration
duration:>120

Properties for file type: Calendar
	Property	Use	Example	

Recurring
isrecurring
recurring
isrecurring:true
recurring:true

Organizer
organizer, by, from
organizer:jonas

Properties for file type: Documents
	Property	Use	Example	

Comments
comments
comments:excellent

Last saved by
lastsavedby
lastsavedby:josh

Document manager
documentmanager
documentmanager:jonas

Revision number
revisionnumber
revisionnumber:4a

Date last printed
datelastprinted
datelastprinted:yesterday

Slide count
slides
slides:>20

Properties for file type: Music
	Property	Use	Example	

Bit rate
bitrate
bitrate:>150kbps

Artist
artist, by
artist:U2

Year
year
year:1977..1987

Album
album
album:"greatest hits"

Genre
genre
genre:rock

Lyrics
lyrics
lyrics:"happy birthday to you"

Track
#, track
track:12

Year
year
year:>1980<1990

Properties for file type: Picture
	Property	Use	Example	

Camera make
cameramake
cameramake:nikon

Camera model
cameramodel
cameramodel:eclipse

Dimensions
dimensions
dimensions:8x10

Orientation
orientation
orientation:landscape

Date taken
taken
datetaken
taken:last
datetaken:6/12/2006

Width
width
width:33

Height
height
height:66

Flash mode
flashmode
flashmode:no flash

Properties for file type: Recorded TV
	Property	Use	Example	

Broadcast date
broadcastdate
broadcastdate:2005

Channel number
channel
channel:7

Closed captioning
closedcaptioning
closedcaptioning:true

Date released
datereleased
datereleased:2007

Episode name
episodename
episodename:zeppo

Properties for file type: Video
	Property	Use	Example	

Name
name
subject
name:vacation
subject:hawaii

Ext
Ext
filext
ext:wma	
filext:wma

How about just covering the Windows XP basic searches. I'll help fill this in and you can help and put that in your useful Windows shortcut thread.
Got the big link and liked to your post for the quick-hit version. Thanks!

Heh they have everything but author's color of underw... tie. We sure "binged" the *** out of this one, lol.

I've edited post #36 but am still missing:

• System Folders:
• Hidden Files & Folders:
• Subfolders on/off:
• Computer Name on Network:

If we find these four, we'll be OK but I still don't see why there couldn't have been a separate search program in the Control Panel that lists all this stuff so you can check/uncheck it as you do a search. No way you can carry all this in your head for most people, you have to look all this up anyway, so why not have a check box next to it as you're looking it up :shrug:

from what i've seen so far, i think "computer name on network" might be just a normal search. the difference is that they added this "homegroup" thing which tries to make it "safer" on your network by only allowing you to connect with "trusted" computers.

then again, i can go to start > computer > Network (on the left side, bottom) and it automatically searches my network for my printers and other computers. might not be exactly the same as the "Directory Search" in xp but seems to work the same as the normal home network stuff in xp.

subfolders: seems to be always on. you can specify the folderpath: or just start searching when you are in a folder and it will search that folder + subfolders (i think).

system folders, hidden folders: it looks like there might be two solutions to this (taken from http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/18d29d34-5b0e-468c-b959-175cfd8c0aef)
To extend the search indexing for looking into file contents (if I understood your problem right), go to Control Panel -> Index options -> Extended settings -> File types and set the checkbox at the bottom to "Search properties and contents".
In the search options (within folder options... the next tab over from where you unchecked 'hide protected operating system files') there is a section called 'When searching non-indexed locations' and under that is a checkbox labelled 'Include System Directories'.

Back