• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Erm... Where is Custom Search in Windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it will search for printers and devices but not computers. also in the old search you could even typ in the ip address if you don't know name or just part of the name and it would look for it.
this is even worse in the home versions of vista, don't know about home versions of win7

in the network search it will only list computers that are in the same workgroup or domain .. if that

Much obliged. Post #36 complete. Problem solved.

Off topic:
I've turned indexing off. I can find anything I want (reasonably) quickly on my computer with indexing off so why bother having it crunch away 24/7 reducing the life of my HD?

Excellent tip on system/hidden files search. It turns out it is enabled by default which is the way I want it.

only allowing you to connect with "trusted" computers.
In here bro regarding that:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=616394

My suspicions about inconsistency/unreliability of Windows 7 (and Vista's) search engine have grown after I made a new folder and created a hidden and a system file to test if Windows 7 will find them just now.

Moving the folder to different locations did not produce identical results. This bothers me very much.

it will search for printers and devices but not computers. also in the old search you could even typ in the ip address if you don't know name or just part of the name and it would look for it.
this is even worse in the home versions of vista, don't know about home versions of win7

in the network search it will only list computers that are in the same workgroup or domain .. if that

when I opened up "Network", it found my 3 printers, my router (go figure, i think it saw my two 8port switches too), two windows xp machines, one vista machine, and two linux machines all automagically. that worked exactly as it does on xp when you open My Network. i didn't try to type anything in to the address bar or search for a specific computer because they were all right there in front of me. If i were at work tho, on my companies domain, I could see the value of being able to search for a hostname since there are a couple hundred computers on the network and they all have obscure names based off country, city, department, etc.

at any rate, it seems the search function in 7 works satisfactory to my needs...even tho i never use it

In Windows 7, what is the command line to search for a specific word (for example the word 'content') inside txt files only?

Attachments

• SearchContent.jpg
    SearchContent.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 773
I have spoken about the shortcomings of w7 search many times.

random search blurb said:
I had 6 files that were out of sync with what was displayed in Task Scheduler. Once I deleted all of the offending files, Task Scheduler fired up without issue.

To make modifications for file types in the index, press Win+R or click on Start \ Run… to open the Run window and type

control.exe srchadmin.dll

In the Advanced Options window, click on the File Types tab.

Here, you can add or remove known file types by checking or unchecking the box next to the file type. You can also select how the file should be indexed (circled in screen shot below) by Index Properties Only or Index Properties and File Contents.

sounds like everyone has issues with windows indexing. i always turn it off. looks like if you want a good search for windows you need to install google desktop

First make sure 'Always search file names and contents...' is selected under the Search tab in Folder Options. Then in order to search for the word 'content' in *.txt files, type name:*.txt text:content into the Search field. You can also replace name w/ ext, for example ext:*.txt text:content

I remembered reading about http://www.copernic.com
in Maximum PC mag a bit ago. It appears to have good writeups, but I haven't personally used it, as I'm just getting involved with 7. As is most of the time usual, third party apps almost always work better than MS designed stuff.

First make sure 'Always search file names and contents...' is selected under the Search tab in Folder Options. Then in order to search for the word 'content' in *.txt files, type name:*.txt text:content into the Search field. You can also replace name w/ ext, for example ext:*.txt text:content

Thank you kindly. This allowed me to finally confirm what I suspected all along, namely the unreliability of Windows 7 search. When I follow your instructions on a test file, they work perfectly. But when I try to find contents of the file that I am actually looking for, I get zero hits.

Proof is that I reboot into Windows XP and simply do as pictured in my post above and I get a hit. But if I try in Windows 7, I get nothing. There is something that causes some searches to get no hits in Windows 7 even though they are there.

Here's what's happening. If I move this txt file to another location and try a test search there, I get a hit. But searching for it at its original location, I get zero hits. Why is Windows 7 doing this!?

Same txt file - moved - there's a hit there but nothing comes up if a search is done for it at its original location...

did you double check that 7 is indexing the file contents?

I'm so confused why this is acceptable. The whole idea you need to KNOW where the files you are looking for defeats the purpose of search. This should be fixed.

did you double check that 7 is indexing the file contents?
Turning indexing off is one of the first things I did.

I should get a hit with indexing turned off, it just may take a few seconds longer which I'd rather it do then having my HD *constantly* be active indexing stuff.

Well thank you. It's called Agent Ransack and it's freeware. http://mythicsoft.com/agentransack/ It has the basics and a match case option too. I looked and couldn't find anything like it anywhere before, so thanks for this! I just tested it and it works with Windows 7 just fine.

Windows XP search engine is great but something is very wrong with Windows 7's search engine, even when I pull out the cheat sheet :rolleyes: to manually specify Windows 7 search options.

The program you linked to will be on my Windows 7 desktop and used whenever I need to do a custom search for a file or contents of a file. Great find.

I'd noticed that the search in Win 7 was seriously lacking, but had never put much thought in to it. I saw the thread you resurected and remembered that it was something ive been meaning to look into. My first thought was maybe XP's search could be moved over, but its part of explorer, so thats a no go. I did a google search on the subject and found that freeware prog. Installed it and it seemed ok. Now if i can find a way to put that in my portable apps thumbdrive.

It works just fine in Portable Apps. After you install that search program on your computer, just copy the program file folder to the portable apps directory. Some progs work this way, some wont. This one does though.

Info from the Portable Apps site....

"So, in a standard layout, you'd create a directory within the X:\PortableApps directory and place it within there. For example, if you have a portable program MyApp.exe, you could create a folder called X:\PortableApps\MyApp\ and place MyApp.exe and all its files within there. Then, just click Options - Refresh App Icons within the PortableApps.com Menu and your new app will show up."

Back