• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec CP-850 Vs Corsair 850TX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vtec96

Looking for a new PS for my new rig I will be building. I was 99% set on the Corsair due to its great features, high quality Japanese capacitors, and reviews.

However once I seen the Antec CP-850 things changed. I know this PS is huge but it should fit perfect in the 1200 I am getting.

The biggest reason I am hesitating is the better quality Japanese capacitors from the Corsair unit. However with the better cooling and new design of the Antec, would that outweigh the capacitor issue?

Seeing as how my 3rd Antec PSU blew up last week due to bad caps, I'm gonna say Corsair.

The cap issue is ancient history. Not applicable to the CP-850. Different OEM using different (and MUCH more reliable) capacitors.

As long as you have one of the compatible cases, the CP-850 wipes the floor with the TX850. There is no "capacitor issue" with either one. It takes an HX850 to compete with the CP. The TX850 is a CWT PSH platform being pushed to the limits of its abilities. The CP is a tremendously overbuilt Delta unit that could easily put out at a 1kW level with not much performance loss. They're just at two different levels, regardless of what capacitors were used.

I had a CP-850 review sample and a TX850 review sample. One look at my sig will tell you which one I kept and which I sold. Mine's been running 24/7 since the review... zero issues.

The cap issue is ancient history. Not applicable to the CP-850. Different OEM using different (and MUCH more reliable) capacitors.

That's what I thought when I bought the Smart Power 500w (model: SP-500) about 3-4 years ago. The 2 previous PSUs that blew up was a Smart Power 400w and a True Power 330w both purchased a year or 2 before that one. :(

I guess it was just old stock when I bought it. Regardless, I'll never give Antec (the company) my money again. I'll stick to Cosair, Seasonic, PCP&C, etc.

CP-850 hands down.
+1

too bad it can only fit into a few cases, but your case should be fine OP.
i read the review of this on JonnyGURU (what's up Oklahoma Wolf :santa:) and it's about as good as the Sig 850w, if i remember correctly.

i'd take it over the TX850 anyday, but if you were comparing the Corsair HX850 to the CP850...it'd be a closer match.

That's what I thought when I bought the Smart Power 500w (model: SP-500) about 3-4 years ago. The 2 previous PSUs that blew up was a Smart Power 400w and a True Power 330w both purchased a year or 2 before that one. :(

The Smartpowers and Smartpower 2's were affected models. The Truepowers and Truepower 2's were affected models. The CP-850 is NOT one of the affected models, because Antec dropped that OEM several years ago. They learned their lesson. Ancient history.

These days Antec uses Seasonic, Delta, FSP, and Enhance for their units. Not one CWT. Who is using CWT? Corsair. CWT learned from their mistake too.

As long as you have one of the compatible cases, the CP-850 wipes the floor with the TX850. There is no "capacitor issue" with either one. It takes an HX850 to compete with the CP. The TX850 is a CWT PSH platform being pushed to the limits of its abilities. The CP is a tremendously overbuilt Delta unit that could easily put out at a 1kW level with not much performance loss. They're just at two different levels, regardless of what capacitors were used.

I had a CP-850 review sample and a TX850 review sample. One look at my sig will tell you which one I kept and which I sold. Mine's been running 24/7 since the review... zero issues.
Thanks OW and others...I did see your review OW and thought it was very informative! I guess the capacitor issue is pretty much not an issue any more from what it sounds like due to the changes Antec has made ...

So I think I will be getting a CP-850 for now.... :soda:

Yep.
Here CP-850 is $170 and HX850 is $197. If you have a case for CP it worth without doubts.
i wish we only had $27 difference betwee then 2 PSUs, even after converting that into AUD.
here in Australia, there's almost a $100 difference.
what a joke lol.
:( hate prices here. can't get any good stuff.

Back