• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Value [Bang-for-buck]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scott9027

The first decision I need to make for my new build is the CPU, motherboard, and in some configurations memory.

My basic goal is bang-for-buck. First question, it seems like AMD is the best in that category right now, how accurate is that assessment?

Assuming that to be the case, what kind of benefits will I gain from choosing between an AM2 vs. AM3 board? Good AM2+/AM3 board suggestions welcome as well. Once I choose a socket/north bridge combo I'll look more in depth at board features.

Somewhat related to the previous question, how much better is DDR3 than DDR2?

If Intel has competitive configurations what choices do I have to make on that end?

If a rough budget guideline is helpful, I'm probably looking to spend around $700-$800 on CPU, mobo, RAM, GFX, PSU, case, and maybe a small SSD.

If you are going with AMD, go with DDR2. Its cheaper and DDR3 really has no benefit on the AMD platform at this time. If you go with i5 (released soon) or i7, you must use DDR3. If you go with a C2D/Q platform, go with DDR2 as DDR3 is like the AMD in this case. What do you do with your computer? If gaming is your primary concern, just go with a PhenomII system as they are about the same in gaming (unless you go with SLI/XFire) if you want to save money.

Q9550 is your best bet for a C2Q system. PII 945/955 for an AMD system. E8400 if you want a dual core setup (I wouldnt suggest at this point in the game though). i7 920's are incredible. I am very happy with mine and I came from a 4.3ghz E8400.

If you can hold out, your best bet on a budget might be the i5. Its released in Australia, but we have another month or so here in the states. Really, its all up to you and your budget. i7 920 can be had for $200 at Microcenter, but the mobo and ram is what usually puts people out of the price range.

Also, with SSD, be sure you get something with either the Samsung, Indellix, or Intel controller (Id say the latter of the 2, samsung is still a bit behind). Vertex, Agility (OCZ's) or X25 (although the x25 may be out of your range). Dont skimp on the SSD, you wont be as happy.

Ok, what motherboards would you recommend for a Phenom II and DDR2 based system?

Could this potentially bottleneck a 4890?

What is the best price/performance point for Phenom II processors?

I'm partial to Gigabyte myself for a motherboard. I don't think you'll have any issue bottle-necking a 4890. I haven't looked at higher end PII's much lately but I see a lot of people going for the 955.

Ok, I need some serious help now, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new rig. Feel free to tell me if the few decisions I've made will be regrettable.

Things I've decided on:
Antec 300 Illusion $55 (extra $10 promo code made the decision for me + 2 extra fans)
Acer X223W 22" monitor $160

So that's $215 which gives me $785 as the budget for my internal components.

-$200 for my required HD4890 gives us $585
-$80 for Corsair 550VX (great deal I think) leaves me with $505
-$85 for cheap PQI SSD (32GB + decent read speeds, I'm worried this might be a bad idea) or $140 for solid one

So with a budget of $420 what would you recommend for my remaining parts,
alternately assuming a better SSD what would you recommend for $365:
-CPU
-Motherboard
-Memory
This is where I'm really the most indecisive. If I can get all three of those parts around $360-420 I can be persuaded to go AM2+/AM3 or Intel, just looking for feedback.

I'm partial to Gigabyte myself for a motherboard. I don't think you'll have any issue bottle-necking a 4890. I haven't looked at higher end PII's much lately but I see a lot of people going for the 955.

Ok, I need some serious help now, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new rig. Feel free to tell me if the few decisions I've made will be regrettable.

Things I've decided on:
Antec 300 Illusion $55 (extra $10 promo code made the decision for me + 2 extra fans)
Acer X223W 22" monitor $160

So that's $215 which gives me $785 as the budget for my internal components.

-$200 for my required HD4890 gives us $585
-$80 for Corsair 550VX (great deal I think) leaves me with $505
-$85 for cheap PQI SSD (32GB + decent read speeds, I'm worried this might be a bad idea) or $140 for solid one

So with a budget of $420 what would you recommend for my remaining parts,
alternately assuming a better SSD what would you recommend for $365:
-CPU
-Motherboard
-Memory
This is where I'm really the most indecisive. If I can get all three of those parts around $360-420 I can be persuaded to go AM2+/AM3 or Intel, just looking for feedback.

Take the two components I gave you and add this RAM. You need to manually set the timings and possibly the voltage but it should work nicely for you. The total for the 3 items would be about $360.

I own 2 of the Acer X223Ws and I really like them. :)

Personally that's what I would get, I'm interested to see what else others would get on that budget.

Here's what I ended up going with. Too excited to wait any longer to pull the trigger I'm afraid. Found some good combos and deals. :bday:

Acer X233Hbd Black 23"
Antec Three Hundred Illusion
Patriot Warp 2.5" 32GB SSD
CORSAIR 550VX
ASUS M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066
XFX HD-489A-ZDEC (read somewhere this version was getting better clocks :thup:)
Logitech G5

Only things left to purchase are coolers. Any AM2+ compatible rec's?
Any gain from upgrading the stock VGA cooler?

Right now looking @ Scythe Musashi & Scythe Zipang. On their site the CPU compatibility is confirmed but the Musashi doesn't say 4890, it only goes up to 4870. Does anyone know if this fits and if not which coolers do?

Last edited:
y the hell would you be gettin ddr3? ddr2 is fine =/ not like you want a supercomputer/// well tat just me cause ddr3 is alot of money

As far as the GPU cooler, I would try it out with the stock one for now, and see how you like it. From what I understand, it has a dual a lot cooler on it already, and there isn't much for aftermarket coolers that can beat it. If you are looking for something aftermarket, I would recommend the Arctic Cooling Accelero.

For the CPU, I would most likely go with something along the lines of a Xigmatek S1283. If they make a bolt thru for your socket, you may also be able to look at the Dark Knight, which comes with the bolt thru kit, and a better fan so you will keep that chip a little cooler.

y the hell would you be gettin ddr3? ddr2 is fine =/ not like you want a supercomputer/// well tat just me cause ddr3 is alot of money

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066

I hope it's not DDR3 because my mobo can't use it :(

Back