Thread: Xbox 360

Xbox 360

I am looking to buy an xbox 360 but need help...

1) Where is the best price for an xbox 360
    2) How much is it per month for online play?
    3) I have a wired connection to my room, is there a cheap but good switch so I can have internet on my PC/xbox and for Wii all at the same time?
    4) What extra's do you reccomend?
    5) What games do you reccomend?

Relating to question 4, If I buy two wireless headsets can two people talk at once?

I am obviously looking for an xbox with the 100$ lower price tag, by the way I live in the UK and need a UK seller.

Quote Originally Posted by YourGreatestMem View Post
    I am looking to buy an xbox 360 but need help...

1) Where is the best price for an xbox 360 Check around, can't help
    2) How much is it per month for online play? in the US it's like ~$50 for a year
    3) I have a wired connection to my room, is there a cheap but good switch so I can have internet on my PC/xbox and for Wii all at the same time?
    4) What extra's do you reccomend? rechargable batteries are a must
    5) What games do you reccomend? Depends on genre you like. Resident Evil 5 is fun...

Relating to question 4, If I buy two wireless headsets can two people talk at once?

I am obviously looking for an xbox with the 100$ lower price tag, by the way I live in the UK and need a UK seller.
    Sugo SFF cube case
    4850 45W
    4 gigs ddr2 800
    7200.11 500gig

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member benbaked's Avatar
    To answer question 3: any 100BaseT hub will work fine.

Sometimes you can find 13-month xbox live gold subscription cards online for between $35-$40. Not too long ago Walmart was selling them for $32. Comes out to less then $3/month.

Instead of rechargeable batteries, spend $20 and buy the Play and Charge kit. It replaces the AA battery pack with a sealed battery pack that you can recharge through the console's USB connection while you play. Well worth the money.
    HEATWARE (22-0) | Folding/SETI/Rosetta (crunching BOINC as the ben.World.order)

ASUS Maximus Hero VI | i7-4770K | EVGA 680GTX FTW | G-Skill Trident X 2x8GB DDR3 | Crucial M500 480GB
    ASUS Maximus Formula SE | QX6700 | Gigabyte 4350 | OCZ Gold 2x4GB DDR2 | Intel X25-M 80GB
    PS4 | Wii U | Xbox 360 (Zephyr) w/ WD3200BEVT 320GB | PS3 CECHG01 w/ WD1600BEVT 160GB

The Chronicles of OCF Rosetta

StaTek is my hero.

R.I.P. Adak, OldSkool, pscout

-100000 on using a hub. you need a switch (but you knew that didn't you).
    If any two items are on the network at the same time it'll have to switch to half-duplex, and I've found that newer NICs don't like half-duplex and you may have to switch it through the device manager to get it to work properly. If not you'll have a lot of lost packets and reduced connectivity. (e.g. LAG)
    So get seither a switch or a router.
    (if you need help configuring it post or PM i've done it a half a dozen times)

Switch/Router brands: Cisco, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Buffalo.
    I just checked UK ebay and say a switch going for 9 with BuyNow, and another for sale for about 5 with 11 hours left. So that wouldn't be a bad idea to get the switch.
    Personally I'm partial to 3rd party firmware and I'd get a WRT54GL and flash it with DDWRT. It's not as cheap as a switch, but has a lot more future functionality. (you can turn the wireless off if you want, I did until I got a device that used it)

And I do believe that 2 headsets work.

For FPS Halo3 is the most popular multiplayer. for a single player FPS/RPG I have really liked Fallout 3 (easily 80-100 hours of gameplay, more if you do everythingl a LOT more). Also look into Bioshock.
    Pick a genre you like, then look on youtube for trailers and such.

Watch for the price drop on the 360
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...ard-drives.ars

I don't have any references, but I do believe that the newer models have better hardware than the older ones. I'd say save another 50ish and get the elite, the 120Gb HDD usually stores enough that you don't fill it.
    Desk Puter - Foxconn C51GU01; AMD X2 3800+ - Dual 2.0Ghz; 1.5gb RAM; Nvidia 6600GT pcie; Win 7 64 bit / Mint 9
    NetBook - Acer Aspire One D250: 160Gb HDD: Win 7 / Backtrack 4 / Mint Debian / MeeGo
    Server Puter - Supermicro X5DAE; Dual Processor - E7505 XEON - Dual 2.66Ghz; 2gb RAM: Nvidia 6600GT agp; Win 7 32 bit / Mint 9.
    HEAT
    Restarting a computer is not how you fix a problem...
    I suffer from
    Fenestraephobia
    I don't think being turned on while turning it on is too high on the creepy list - freakdiablo

techun
    You didn't help at all did you...

benbaked
    Yeah, my buddy said about those lil battry pack things. I will get some of them.

13month subscription for $40 thats pretty cheap (in English money)

curtis1552
    Yeah, I know i needed a switch, but was asking if any one has a link to a cheap one, I searched for like 2 hours last night.

2Headsets, that would be handy for when myself and my brother play FPS games (we are pretty good together)

As for games, Halo3 would be purchased and my friend is going to give me a list of good ones and don't worry I will only buy an elite, not buying cheap ones but want good one cheap LOL

Yeah, I know i needed a switch, but was asking if any one has a link to a cheap one, I searched for like 2 hours last night.
    Letsee if I can do this in 5min or less.
    1. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=462342
    (List of retailers)
    2. Done. 3.4 min. (ebuyer had the design i liked best)

Wired Only (15 UK)
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/35437

Or this one, which is really nifty (wireless bridge, you find a wireless and you can use your wired devices over it - Buffalo makes good products)
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139105

Though, the UK ebay may have better deals, the prices seem a little high
    Last edited by curtis1552; 08-28-09 at 12:30 AM.
    Desk Puter - Foxconn C51GU01; AMD X2 3800+ - Dual 2.0Ghz; 1.5gb RAM; Nvidia 6600GT pcie; Win 7 64 bit / Mint 9
    NetBook - Acer Aspire One D250: 160Gb HDD: Win 7 / Backtrack 4 / Mint Debian / MeeGo
    Server Puter - Supermicro X5DAE; Dual Processor - E7505 XEON - Dual 2.66Ghz; 2gb RAM: Nvidia 6600GT agp; Win 7 32 bit / Mint 9.
    HEAT
    Restarting a computer is not how you fix a problem...
    I suffer from
    Fenestraephobia
    I don't think being turned on while turning it on is too high on the creepy list - freakdiablo

Disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by benbaked View Post
    Instead of rechargeable batteries, spend $20 and buy the Play and Charge kit. It replaces the AA battery pack with a sealed battery pack that you can recharge through the console's USB connection while you play. Well worth the money.
    Unnecessary imho. I barely play my 360 now but I played quite a bit when I got it. It took about 2 years to go through the 1st set of batteries in controller #1 and controller #2 is still running them after 2.5 years. (some kind of industrial AA mom ordered at work [hospital])

1) Can't comment since your in the UK, avoid Refurb/Used.
    2) You can get 13 month cards as cheap as $25-$30 here.
    3) Get a wireless router, problem solved.
    4)
    Quick Charge Kit (BUY NOW)
    Extra battery pack
    Ear piece headset mic or Headphones & Headset like Turtle Beach (If your into headphones)

Seriously avoid the wireless headset.

5)
    Gears of War 1 or 2 (For the single player)
    Saints Row 2 (Way better then GTA4 even with bugs)
    Resident Evil 5 (Amazing)
    Bully (Fun/Funny game)
    Call Of Duty MW (Just wait for Modern Warfare 2)
    Call Of Duty WaW (Nazi zombies!)
    Forza 2 (If you like racing)

I don't play my 360 constantly like some but those are some good games. Also consider the 60GB system at least, once you try installing games you won't turn back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ach3r0n View Post
    Unnecessary imho. I barely play my 360 now but I played quite a bit when I got it. It took about 2 years to go through the 1st set of batteries in controller #1 and controller #2 is still running them after 2.5 years. (some kind of industrial AA mom ordered at work [hospital])
    I agree the plug and play kit is a waste of money, buy the quick charger. Also 2-2.5 years? You straight up don't play at all then.
    Last edited by twEEkerAreUs; 08-28-09 at 02:35 AM.
    My Heatware
    i7 920@4Ghz/CM Cosmos 1000
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2/Enermax DXX 1KW
    OCZ Platinum 3x2GB
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD x2/WD Green 1TB x3
    Hanns-G 28in/HIS Radeon 6950
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Logitech Z-5500

If you search on ebay, you can find refurb wireless controllers for about $30 with the plug n charge kit.

I think in the US there is currently a sale/price cut on elites; I hear lots of stores are now selling them for $300.
    [HEAT] - Sony SZ650 /// T7500 /// 3 GB ram /// 8400M GS /// OCZ Vertex 2 60GB ded :(

Trashcan Man Member
    techun
    You didn't help at all did you...
    He replied in the quote, go read again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ach3r0n View Post
    I used normal AA batteries for the first few weeks I played my 360 and those wireless controllers eat batteries, think I got maybe two or three days out of each set, but I was playing any time I wasn't asleep. Those rechargeable sets are a must if you don't have uber-invincible industrial AA batteries.

Also, forza 2 (and soon to be 3) if you are into any racing at all. I probably spent at least an hour a day on it for over a year, it's good stuff.
    LTC: LbVSSv4Phj1NWvxBw76zmhV8K1P63xhYJ9

Member of the MOAR VOLTS™ club.