• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you assign a drive letter to a USB port (for every drive connected to it)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
...so that every external drive you connect to the same USB port will have the same custom drive letter. This way you can have one shortcut for all external drives that get connected to the same USB port.

To clarify: Each little USB flash drive will grab whatever letter is available at the time.

I wish to assign ONE CUSTOM LETTER to a specific USB port so that WHICHEVER drive is ever connected to that ONE USB port gets a custom letter, for example U:

Last edited:
Isn't that how it works now? I've plugged USB keys/drives in at work on the same port and they each end up with their own unique drive letter. I think the key is to actually manually assign the usb drive a letter once it has been plugged in. It should then hold onto the drive letter for that specific device on that specific usb port.

Hard to understand your question - maybe this will help though...

When you plug in removable storage, it will grab the next available drive letter. So, if you have a hard drive and a CD drive, any flash drive plugged in will become E: unless previously assigned a custom letter. Plug in another drive and it is F: . Unplug in both drives and plug back in the 2nd and it is now E: . Getting multiple flash drives to show on one drive letter? Easy, just plug them in one at a time and they should use the same letter (removing one before plugging in another). Same letter simultaneously? Maybe you could set up a RAID amongst a few, but if thats the case I would be careful. This is also useless when moving to another system I'd think. And no, I don't think you can assign a drive letter to a USB port, only to storage.

EDIT: Oh, I thought you were talking about flash drives. Now your question makes sense, maybe this is a better answer - A new drive is a new drive so a custom letter would not stick to every new drive, unless that letter was just the next available. On the other hand, if you only have a few USB drives, perhaps you can manually make them all the same letter (doing one at a time, only one plugged in) and then in the future when they are plugged in they will assume their old assigned drive letter.

Im not certain it holds it as you want. But the more Im thinking about this as I type, I have a USB based external drive (cheapo case, not like a freeagent or something) and I shut it off when Im not listening to music and just turn it back on. Winamp only points to that same drive letter. With that in mind, isnt it already doing that for you? Or does it tend to change when removing the USB from teh back/front of the PC?

To clarify: Each little USB flash drive will grab whatever letter is available at the time.

I wish to assign ONE CUSTOM LETTER to a specific USB port so that WHICHEVER drive is ever connected to that ONE USB port gets a custom letter, for example U:

Back