• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free Comcast Internet --Hack???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember when I move to a new apartment a few years back I brought my old cable modem with me to a new state, it WOULD NOT WORK at the new residence until I physically brought it to a comcast office and showed them I owned it, and they recorded the MAC.

Typically each region will be separate billing systems, makes sense it wouldn't work right away.

This might be a stupid question and if so, please be kind; I have very little knowledge of how the cable system works.

If someone was to do the mac spoofing thing and set up their modem as mentioned earlier in this thread, is there any way they could use the hacked modem to sniff your inbound and/or outbound Comcast internet traffic?

This might be a stupid question and if so, please be kind; I have very little knowledge of how the cable system works.

If someone was to do the mac spoofing thing and set up their modem as mentioned earlier in this thread, is there any way they could use the hacked modem to sniff your inbound and/or outbound Comcast internet traffic?

Yes. If you have an active connection to a cable network then you can configure equipment to actively listen and copy information that is not bound to you. This is usually illegal and may even land you in jail.

When I worked with Mediacom we had a tool to search the network by macid. It could show the pole id of the drop the mac was on. It was'nt my area but I reckon a tech could go to the pole and disco the drops 1 by 1 to find which one it was, as was previously noted here.

I primarily used the tool to check signals and usage (before someone asks, it just showed up/down data transfer amounts) of folks having trouble.

Back