• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am going insane!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcrites

I have been working on this stupid rheostat baybus forever! Something keeps going wrong, and keeping me from using my computer :( Today, I was installing 2 new rheostats to control the 2 fans on my rad. Then I turn the thing on to test it, and I hear a pop, and nothing works :( I think I blew the spst but I do still get a continuity between the two terminals, but no voltage flows through. You guys think its time for me to throw in the towel and buy a premade one? And does anyone know of any that will fit into a 3 and a quarter inch face plate? Or should I keep trying :D I got some good switches from allied electronics, I am thinking about using one of my spare bays where my floppy took over to make a new one. This is because my old rheostats had a 1/4" shaft, and the ones I have now is 1/8". So anyways, should I continue the pain, or just get a prebuilt?

just get a duall voltage switch dtpt or whatever there called, and have one setting at 7v the other at 12v and off.. that would be the easiest.. if you get good looking switches and some nice leds to mod into it, so 7v would turn on a red color and 12v would turn on a green color or something..

I want to use my rheostats. I believe I will just try to rebuild it, I guess this builds experience eh? :D Anyone know if you can buy replacement drive bay covers for the lian-li cases? I always wondered in case you need to replace them :D

mcrites said:
I want to use my rheostats. I believe I will just try to rebuild it, I guess this builds experience eh? :D Anyone know if you can buy replacement drive bay covers for the lian-li cases? I always wondered in case you need to replace them :D

try calling lain li, i know antec is pretty cool with sending you replacement parts

Make sure you are using the rheostat on the black fan wire, sometimes they ground internally.

Welp, since it was a nice day yesterday, I spent 3 hours working on this rheostat baybus, and its working again. Put a spiffy new switch from allied electronics, and a spare LED into it. Thank goodness the rheostats were still working. Now all I have to do is drill out my spare 3 1/4" bay, gotta go to Lowes and get a 15/32" drill bit :D Thanks for all the help.

Back