• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD newbie here with ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bda1967

Hello. Since I have little experience with AMD cpu's I was wondering if you fine folks could answer a few questions that I have.

I have an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2 stepping 2.2Ghz that is in a HP mobo that I would like to replace so I can overclock it. I think that I can use a AM2+ mobo correct? Also, how high of an OC can I expect and what kind of a voltage increase is the norm? If I can only get to 2.6GHz then would that warrant investing in an after market cpu cooler or would I be cranking up the vcore significantly?

Thanks for your help.

I would say at this point, it may not be worth it to upgrade to a new mobo. Things are really cheap, and you can get a PII 550 and a decent mobo for $200 bucks.

I know that I can get a better socket mobo but this is just my bench computer and I'm looking to get some overclocking practice on AMD CPU's. I'm just trying to use what I already have. I even thought about flashing the BIOS in the HP board with the ASUS update so that I could get the better BIOS and not getting a new mobo.

well its good that HP has started using standard mATX layouts. it sucked hard core when companies would use daughter boards and other such stuff.

i have a Biostart TA 790GX XE mobo that i am using thats mATX and it overclocks pretty well and was $69 shipped (AR) on new egg for a while there but i dont know if it is still.
either way its still cheaper than buying a new mobo and new processor like what has been mentioned.

the only thing is that i dont know if the PSU in the HP is a standard PSU or if its some propriotary connector deal, might check that out.

If the processor is socket AM2, you might look at a board that will support AM2, AM2+ (some might even do those as well as AM3). There are some decent boards out that will do you well and not cost you too much.

I know that a lot of the HP machines don't have great OC options in the BIOS. I don't know if you could use something like clockgen on it in the meantime.

Good Luck

How about this little puppy? :) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157160

I looked into flashing the BIOS but it's not a ASUS BIOS so it wouldn't let me use the E-Z flash utility and also I tried installing an ASUS BIOS update software, but that wouldn't work either die to no ASUS BIOS in the mobo. HP really makes things difficult for us. I supposed I could have tried to make a bootable floppy and load the BIOS that way but I just gave up and ordered the newer board. It's not worth me putting anymore time into trying to make a proprietary mobo "unproprietary".

I have some spare psu's lying around and hopefully my heatsink from the HP board will work on this new board.

Last edited:
"I looked into flashing the BIOS but it's not a ASUS BIOS so it wouldn't let me use the E-Z flash utility and also I tried installing an ASUS BIOS update software, but that wouldn't work either die to no ASUS BIOS in the mobo."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

warning, trying to load up a bios that is not SPECIFICALLY made for your board (there are a few, very , very few, exceptions and there are beta's and sometimes modded bios' made by tweakers) is a recipe for disaster....

good thing you didn't use the 'force bios ' option at a command prompt...

laterzzzzz.............

Gotcha. I was curious if I could do it and since I had made up my mind to get a new board anyway, I wanted to experiment. The HP website says that the board is an ASUS A8M2N-LA mobo so I tried to install the ASUS BIOS for that mobo before I gave up on it. I stopped just short of my objective so now I will never know....

It's my work bench computer and I want to learn how to overclock AMD CPU's. My only experience is with Intel CPU's. I'm bored and want to play with it basically. ;)

It's my work bench computer and I want to learn how to overclock AMD CPU's. My only experience is with Intel CPU's. I'm bored and want to play with it basically. ;)

if you want to over clock then i can only say get the biostar i mensioned earlier. i bet the asrock you linked to is limited with bios options and the TA 790GX XE has a better chipset with ACC and is one that has been able to unlock diabled cores on the X2/X3

Back