• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does crysis lag for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tinymouse2

OK so I have a q9550 at stock with a GTX 260 OCd to 625 and erm...something for the Vram.

I have 4 gigs of DDR2 RAM and the game looks amazing. Only 1 problem, whenever I press a button (lets say D for moving right) it takes about 1/2 a second to process the operation and then move my character. I have a G15 keyboard and a Logitech something mouse (40 quid one) with a monitor that has a 2ms response time (w2252tq from LG) and I haven't seen any lag with ANY other game, just crysis. I only brought the game about 3 hours ago and have updated to the latest version and it lags.

I also have the 64 bit version of the W7 RC if that matters.

Any advice?

Also sorry if there's any bad grammur in thar, just come home college from.

What settings are ya running it on, and what kinda FPS you getting? Use r_displayinfo=1 in the console (~ to open it) to see.

I have fraps and a G15 and it tells me that I'm getting about 28 fps on everything very high with AA at 8x (about 34 without AA but no difference in lag)

It still lags if I lower the settings down to high or even medium. On high I get about 52fps average and on medium over 70.

Hmm. Can ya run the game in DX9 mode (right click the shortcut I think) and see if it still does it?

I have fraps and a G15 and it tells me that I'm getting about 28 fps on everything very high with AA at 8x (about 34 without AA but no difference in lag)

It still lags if I lower the settings down to high or even medium. On high I get about 52fps average and on medium over 70.

Well bro there's your answer. "Lag" referes to a connection lag- or an unacceptable amount of time between input and response. You're getting low FPS.

It doesn't sounds like it's outside your system's spec though. You're running Crysis like it should run on your system...

Open your NVIDIA control panel, (right click the desktop) go advanced 3d settings, select CRYSIS (program specific)

set AA and AF to off

set Vsync FORCE ON and disable it in crysis (driver settings = faster than in game ususually)

Set quality to QUALITY (not high quality) and CLAMP. Negative LOD bias NO. Force mip maps NO prerender 3.

crysis has higher system requirements for maximum settings then other games. What you are seeing is not lag, your system is just not powerful enough to run the game at the settings you want. Solution: turn down the settings.

Lag is a different issue then low fps. You won't actually lag in single player games unless you have a wireless keyboard/mouse that is really really low on batteries. Lag is caused by your signal taking a long to to reach the server and get a response back. It is generally characterized by things happening with a delay. Low FPS is entirely on your end and is caused by a system not powerfull enough to run at the settings you are trying to run.

Also, what resolution are you running at?

That sounds about right. Crysis is a VERY demanding game when you max it out. They specifically designed it to be future proof. Even after 2 years it still looks better than anything else out there.

Notice he said it still lags when settings are turned down, even on medium @ 70 fps or so. Something else is probably going on here.

Try going to start->games->right click on Crysis. It'll look like seen below. Click the DX9 option and see if that makes the problem go away.

Attachments

• crysisdx9.jpg
    crysisdx9.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 3,523
70 FPS is not what I consider "low FPS" or lag.

28 FPS with everything on very high and 8x AA
52 FPS on high
70+ FPS on medium

This seems totally normal based on his specs and the game.

52 FPS on high
70+ FPS on medium

Right, so the problem lies elsewhere. Read the OP, he's getting 1/2 second of input lag (not to be confused with network lag) when pushing keys.

52 FPS on high
70+ FPS on medium

right, from what IM reading, hes saying that even at 70 fps he still has a delay between when he presses the button to move, and when he actually does.

Vsync shouldnt have anything to do with input lag either but its another straw for the OP to grasp on to AFTER he checks the keyboard. Not to mention the fps he listed arent vsync material either so it appears to already be off.

OK so I checked with an old wireless keyboard and my 360 controller. Exactly the same result for all 3 (maybe slightly longer for the wireless keyboard and mouse).

Vsync is off
I've changed the pre-render frames thing to every possible option (0 through to 8) and still it lags. When the game is on lowest possible graphics there is low lag but it's still there. The game is running at over 100fps and the CPU usage is down to about 40% or so. Man this is bloody annoying me, I'll try anything if anyone has any other suggestions.

Yeh like Leviathan41 said. My nice keyboard is a G15 second edition (my first edition got coke spilt over it ;_;)

I haven't had lag in ANY other game with this keyboard and mouse combo, not even GTA IV.

Back