• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Propus launched.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuroimaho

Finally after several delays propus reaches the shelves.
The price is surprisingly low, on par with Callisto (Dualcore denebs).

This is a 45nm K10 native quadcore with 512K L2 (same as deneb) but without L3.

Ascii.jp Akiba

First benches at Inpai.com

mAJORD plays with it at XS

Comparing Callisto to regor isn't the same as Regor has twice the L2, so the performance hit for removing the L3 will be bigger in this case.

This seems to be quite a good choice for media center PCs.

Last edited:
There is a rumor going around that you can unlock the L3 Cache to make it a Deneb CPU. If anyone plans on buying one of these guys for HTPC or general computing let me know. I'd like to have some things done to this CPU.

i'm not sure what is happening with these chips. Newegg had the 620 listed for a few days but it disappeared from newegg the same day fudzilla reported that newegg had it for sale. I'm planning on building a new rig in the next month so I'm interested in seeing how they perform.

This very early silicon isn't the best I might add. This chip in particular has two issues:

1. A 1.4v Vcore.

2. Doesn't clock all that well compared to Regor.. topping out around 3.6Ghz under air.

what would possibly make it clock bad? its nearly the same as deneb without the L3 isent it?

mmm if its price is "onpar" with callisto i would still spend the extra $20 and get a 3rd core and some L3.

i think we're going to find out in the future that L3 is going to be more beneficial than we currently think

what would possibly make it clock bad? its nearly the same as deneb without the L3 isent it?

Regor also has high vcore but underclocks very well to 1.08V on stock V. I expect these to do the same.
Maybe it is like Celeron M vs pentium M, artificially inflated vcore to make it less appealing.

mmm if its price is "onpar" with callisto i would still spend the extra $20 and get a 3rd core and some L3.

i think we're going to find out in the future that L3 is going to be more beneficial than we currently think

Regors double L2 hid the lack of L3 pretty well, what happens without that can be seen in the inpai benches, it struggles against a q8200, but still clocks higher than Agenas and needs less power.

There is a rumor going around that you can unlock the L3 Cache to make it a Deneb CPU. If anyone plans on buying one of these guys for HTPC or general computing let me know. I'd like to have some things done to this CPU.

Meh even if it were true I wouldn't bet my hopes on them being usable. Most of AMD advance manufacturing is based on the principle that they can do extensive testing to salvage as many chips as possible. All the newer chips being released with tricore and L3 cache-less etc. are based on these test and it goes down to even the high clocking chips all the way to the low voltage chips. Take into account they just been saving up these defective chips to have enough batches to ship to consumer level needs. When you buy a P2 just be happy if it works at stock and can overclock okay.

However,it is noticed that there is no obvious improvement at the range from 3.6GHz to 3.25GHz.So it is suggested that it is OK to overclock in default voltage.
http://en.inpai.com.cn/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=6957&pageid=5656

I guess my math skills must be lagging. I found the scaling to be very near the same for 2.60 to 3.25 as it is from 3.25 to 3.62 GHz. A hair different, as would be expected if the scale were not 1:1 (and it seldom is) but not off enough to warrant that conclusion.

I also noticed the unusually high HT Link speed (2800 MHz?!?). Maybe the Athlons are different but Phenoms tend to run better (and faster) keeping the HT Link speed close to 2000 MHz. :shrug: One can only hope they lowered the HT Link at some point and tested again to make sure that wasn't effecting performance or lowering the top end OC (though one can't complain too much about a 39% OC) ...

Last edited:
Back