• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Way to block e-mail in AOL???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
OK, I wanna start by saying... I DO NOT USE AOL. I use Roadrunner Cable and am very happy with it.

BUT, one of my best friends (female), has her ex-boyfriend e-mailing her and IMing her and telling her he wants to get together and make out... and have her come over when his parents aren't around... etc, etc. She's not that kind of girl (very involved in school, wonderful musician... she's in one of the local honors groups I'm in, fantastic actor, etc... and he's changed in the 2 years since she's gone out with him. She's not gonna get involved with this, no way no how). As far as I know, she's blocked him on IM and is avoiding him like the plague anyway on a different sn. BUT--- I know there's a way to do this in M$ Outlook, but I was wondering if any of you know how to block e-mail in AOL. I've never used it for more than about 3 seconds at a crack and thus, don't know.

As a geniunely concerned friend, I really wanna help her. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated (and I will be giving her a link to this page so nothing inappropriate please). She has no substancial evidence for police charges or anything like that as she deletes his e-mails and basically ignores him. I'd like to make sure she never does.

Under "File" Mail-> Mail Controls-> Next -> Customize Mail Controls -> Next -> Block from users -> Then logic should kick in

It_The_Cow said:
Under "File" Mail-> Mail Controls-> Next -> Customize Mail Controls -> Next -> Block from users -> Then logic should kick in
yea but couldn't you get hotmail or something

res0r9lm said:

yea but couldn't you get hotmail or something

If she weren't stubborn as a mule and proud of it, I'd say yes. I have suggested it, however, for some odd reason she doesn't really go for that plan. Personally, I would've saved a few of these e-mails and told SOMEBODY who can do something about this @$$hole by now, but I'm not her. I just REALLY worry for her. But as I said before, she's stubborn and proud of it, there's no changing her plans.

res0r9lm said:
why doesn't she report him

Sadly enough, I have experience in this field. A few years ago something similar happened to me and I can tell you the first thing I did was report her. I don't know why she doesn't report him... I've been telling her to do so and told her of my unfortunate experience in this field but she seems to be ignoring me as well. All I can do is go along with what she wants... there's nothing I can actually do about it.

I hate to say this but if he is determined then each time she blocks his e-mail address he can just get a new web based e-mail account that isn't blocked.

Her best choices are to just delete his e-mails without reading them and hope he gets tired of sending them or if she really feels that what he is doing is harrassment then she should go talk to a lawyer to find out exactly what she needs to do establish a legal basis for getting a restraining order against the guy.

jw50 said:
I hate to say this but if he is determined then each time she blocks his e-mail address he can just get a new web based e-mail account that isn't blocked.

Her best choices are to just delete his e-mails without reading them and hope he gets tired of sending them or if she really feels that what he is doing is harrassment then she should go talk to a lawyer to find out exactly what she needs to do establish a legal basis for getting a restraining order against the guy.

The kid's a smart guy but not computer savvy to figure that out. I've met him, he barely knows how to turn a computer on. He thinks he has a computer made by Windows.

She's considering the legal dealy, but really doesn't wanna do it unless it goes REALLY far out of hand. Her master plan is to ignore the freak, avoid him at all costs. I saw her tonight at a performing ensemble we both play at and taught her some basic self-defense (I actually have taken a self-defense course as a gym unit, we have a male unit and female unit, so I know a thing or two about fighting) should things get outta hand. For now, that's the best I can do. He doesn't do it in school so she can't go through official channels there. It'd be legal if anything.

OK, I wanna start by saying... I DO NOT USE AOL. I use Roadrunner Cable and am very happy with it.

BUT, one of my best friends (female), has her ex-boyfriend e-mailing her and IMing her and telling her he wants to get together and make out... and have her come over when his parents aren't around... etc, etc. She's not that kind of girl (very involved in school, wonderful musician... she's in one of the local honors groups I'm in, fantastic actor, etc... and he's changed in the 2 years since she's gone out with him. She's not gonna get involved with this, no way no how). As far as I know, she's blocked him on IM and is avoiding him like the plague anyway on a different sn. BUT--- I know there's a way to do this in M$ Outlook, but I was wondering if any of you know how to block e-mail in AOL. I've never used it for more than about 3 seconds at a crack and thus, don't know.

As a geniunely concerned friend, I really wanna help her. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated (and I will be giving her a link to this page so nothing inappropriate please). She has no substancial evidence for police charges or anything like that as she deletes his e-mails and basically ignores him. I'd like to make sure she never does.

Find the senders IP and block all incoming mail from that IP. Wont matter if he/she makes new accounts all mail from that IP will be blocked.
But the smartest thing to do is to get a restraining order and the next time he/she sends an email they can be arrested.:screwy:

Back