• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$150 WC vs TRUE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Well I got my birthday coming up so I want to treat myself for the first time for water cooling. I have always wanted to do it, but never really had a good opportunity.

I'd love to crank my Q6600 even higher than 3.6GHz. Right now I sit at 58c idle and 75c load on a TRUE.

So I figured $150 a decent budget to go with?

Anybody recommend me the best I can get with $150? I'm fine going up to $200 if the difference is warranted.

Thanks,
ps2cho

So I figured $150 a decent budget to go with?
To be brutally honest, no, I think not.

However, if you bump that up to $300, then yes absolutely! You'll likely get 20C better core temperatures on water. But you'll probably not increase your overclock any. Does that sound cost effective to you? If so, welcome to the trio. I'm that fellow over on your left.

Last edited:
Before you shell out for a WC system please be aware that your Q6600 may not get any further than 3.6ghz at an acceptable voltage.

That being said, I will make some suggestions, I hope you've hung around the WC forums for awhile :D Tons of good info.

I ran my Q6600 and QX6850 on a Swiftech MCR-220 radiator with a DDC3.2 (Swiftech MCP 355) with XSPC Res top and a Swiftech Apogee GTZ water block.

(rad - $44.95 @ Petras, $54.95 with built in Res
cpu block - $63.95 @ Petras
Pump -- $74.99 @ Petras)

Some of the other guys around may have some other suggestions, and possibly some cheaper alternatives.

Out of curiousity, what kind of voltage are you running through that cpu that you're getting 58c idle?

then factor in tubing and some sort of res/fillport and you're going to come out a bit over $200 I'd imagine.

Maybe its not economical for me then if I won't be able to clock her any higher without shelling a ton of money..

I'm running 1.45v. When I said 58c idle....that's in a 90F room. Its actually kinda cold today and I'm 45C idle. Ambient temp is a lovely thing....

Maybe I should concentrate on getting my air better then. Maybe get some higher CFM fans or something...

Get some good fans, and work on your mount, your cooler is very good :thup:

Another thing you can experiment with is your mounting bracket, sometimes you get better clamps with it 1 way, vs the other, and the same with your cooler, try giveing it a spin around. If all else fails, you can lap it, but Ive had mine for 2 or 3 years, and it is still unlapped.

And your ambients suck! :D

I cant wait for the winter either ;)

If you decide to go water, set yourself a $200-250 upper limit and you should be able to assemble something that will cool better than a true plus be able to use it later down the road.

If you want a kit, this one here is a good, one-stop shopping experience and should pretty much come with everything you will need. And all the parts in that kit are good stuff, unlike a lot of the kits out there. You can put together comparable cooling for less than the kit though. Here's an example:

waterblock - Swiftech Apogee GTZ - $50
pump - Swiftech MCP 355 ($65) with an XSPC - Acrylic Res top ($40).
Tubing- 8 feet of either 1/2 X 3/4" Silver Tygon ($28) or 7/16 X 5/8" Primochill black ($15) tubing. With the silver Tygon you don't need an antimicrobial additive in the loop as the silver stops the bacterial and aglae growth.
Radiator - Swiftech MCR320-QP ($50)
Barbs - (4 needed) Bitspower G 1/4in. Silver Shining Fitting for 1/2in. Tubing ($10). These are the barbs also called DD Fatboys and are quality high flow barbs.
Fans - (3 needed) 120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 ($15)

For an external mount on the back side of your case, the Radbox Rev. 1 ($10) is the way to go and it's made of metal and not plastic like the Rev 2 model. I have both and the metal one is much sturdier. Other things you would need would be small hose clamps and if you go with the black (really other tubing besides the silver antimicrobial) tubing you will need some Petra'sTech PT_Nuke -PHN Concentrated Biocide ($3) to keep the creepy crawley's suppressed. You don't need any other additive to the loop besides the PHN and distilled water.

With the parts I've put together here you will have a loop with better performance than the Swiftech kit for the same or a little more money.

Last edited:
For under $250 for a kit, consider this one. though for under $200, this might be the best you can get.

*edit*
just found that newegg has the kit i listed above in the second link(@$179). For $139, im shocked i havent seen it that low, yes still a double rad wc kit.

Last edited:
For under $250 for a kit, consider this one. though for under $200, this might be the best you can get.

*edit*
just found that newegg has the kit i listed above in the second link(@$179). For $139, im shocked i havent seen it that low, yes still a double rad wc kit.

I have actually tested that kit configuration ( H20-220 Compact, not bought as a kit but rather collected and/or bought as separate components) and it's also a good kit for the money. In it's stock config it cools a little bit better than a TRUE running the same fans in push-pull and the pump/waterblock can be used later on as a good pump with the addition of the XSPC res top or an aftermarket Laing DDC top. The pump body itself is the same as a Swiftech MCP350 (Laing DDC3.1) without the side mounts and it can also be easily modded to DDC3.2 specs with a simple solder mod.

Back