• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mass Effect, Source & WoW - Do I need more than a 9600GSO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Essenar

I don't want to spend a lot. My video card exploded. (Not a 9600GSO from sig, I had a 7600GT. My friend's rig went down and I wanted him to keep playing so I gave him my 9600GSO rig and built a 7600GT rig)

Anyway, after downgrading to a 7600GT I couldn't play newer games anymore, like Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead, but I could play WoW until it died.

Now I want to pick up Mass Effect again and maybe a few newer shooters. Should I get anything beyond a 9600GSO or will that suffice until the new hardware comes out so I can build a new rig in the spring?

I game at 720p, but I'm going to get a 22" monitor some time.

I'm on Vista/Windows 7 when it launches:
4gb Patriot DDR2 800
Pentium Dual Core E2200 @ 3GHZ

Last edited:
Meh... Not sooo much honestly.
A 9800GT is about on par with an 8800GT.
I have an 8800 GTS 512MB and a better CPU (no offence) [email protected]

Mass effect runs great. Does it run perfect? No. Could it run way better? Yes. Is it a freakin wicked game that deserves the best hardware? Absolutely.

Go buy a 5870. It'll work in your current system, and once you get a new one it'll work to it's full potential...

To be honest, if I'm going higher than a 9600GSO I'd rather go ATI for HDMI audio. Not to mention, the 9800GT is only about $10 from an HD4850 which is on par with a GTS 250/9800GTX.

The point was if $55 9600 GSO is enough to satisfy me. I know what I would get if I was spending $100.

No no I wasn't suggesting a 9800GT I was saying to go much higher than one, thus also implying a 9600 was totally inadequate in my opinion.

I know what you would get for $100 too and honestly it's not going to be fantastic. Will it run? Yes. Nicely? Sure. Wicked good? No.

I'd get bare minimum 4870 and overclock it. Honestly though If you were going to buy another GPU in a few months just get a good one now.

To be honest, if I'm going higher than a 9600GSO I'd rather go ATI for HDMI audio. Not to mention, the 9800GT is only about $10 from an HD4850 which is on par with a GTS 250/9800GTX.

The point was if $55 9600 GSO is enough to satisfy me. I know what I would get if I was spending $100.

How much you got to spend? $55 max?

What "more info" would you need? I asked if a 9600GSO is enough for the games I listed with the specs I have. If you're incapable of answering that question, then I'm sorry, but there's not more information available.

I already know what an HD4850 is capable of, and I know very well what good cards are in the $100-up range.

Why is it so hard to answer a simple question of, "Does a 9600GSO play these games just fine with the specs I have?"

The truth is, I gave as much info as was needed, but you're treating this thread like a "recommend me a card" thread where you give people a generic "Get this card for $100, done." response.

I don't want to spend a lot.

Now I want to pick up Mass Effect again and maybe a few newer shooters. Should I get anything beyond a 9600GSO
I game at 720p, but I'm going to get a 22" monitor some time.

I'm on Vista/Windows 7 when it launches:
4gb Patriot DDR2 800
Pentium Dual Core E2200 @ 3GHZ

That's not enough information? Geez.

I want to spend the least amount possible to play Mass Effect on high settings with my PC specs.

What is it with the people who lurk this forum?

You could have said that to begin with.

For 1280x720, yes, a 9600GSO will be just fine.

No need to jump down people's throats when they're just trying to help you.

I've got an E8400 @ 3.4ghz some cheap sh*t ram with a 9600gt and all the latest games run fine. i can run crysis on high under dx9 and about 25fps avg. so as for WoW and Left 4 Dead a 9600GT/GSO (even though im pretty sure 9600gt's are a little bit faster than GSO's) should be fine.

You could have said that to begin with.

For 1280x720, yes, a 9600GSO will be just fine.

No need to jump down people's throats when they're just trying to help you.

Everything you just read was in my original post. I have a guy in this thread telling me that it's useless to purchase anything safe for a 5870 and people telling me I didn't give enough info when I highlighted everything in my original post?

I'm not trying to start a flame war. But I think it was a mistake coming to this section of the board to ask for help. I'll ask General Hardware next time.

Back