• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which do you prefer FSB or BCLK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grishenko45

Hi all,

This would be good as a poll - but I can't set one up for some reason!

Anyway - For years the FSB determined the speeds of our CPU's - if you had an FSB of more than 500Mhz - people instantly knew you had an insane OC on. Now with the new 1156/1366 sockets there's the new QPI - not that much different - but if someone says they've got a 185Mhz QPI - you think - "if it's got a 21x multiplier, times 21 by 185 etc..." it takes ages!! not just like FSB - 400*9 = 3.6Ghz - easy!!! FSB was quad pumped too - so an FSB of 400Mhz would equal 1600Mhz - the extreme editions - or 333*4 = 1333Mhz.

Do you guys prefer FSB or QPI - I know we are talking about 2 different technologies here - but in terms of ease of use - working out speeds - etc...

I prefer the FSB it would have been nice if intel hadn't of ditched it in favour of the QPI - but like I said - 2 different technologies at work....

Even if I had an i7 975 @ 4.5Ghz I would still prefer using the FSB to overclock - instead of the QPI and BSCLK.

Please share your views!

Thanks

If you post QPI or FSB, the thread would be alot more informative if you mentioned why.
Chinstrap, please elaborate. We all like to hear from our benching team members on such things.
I am still undecided, although I do think that the i7 platform seems to OC very easilly(at least as easy as FSB based platforms).

OP- PM a mod and ask them to make this a Poll.

I haven't tried any i5/i7 CPUs yet, but I think the new system makes more sense. Everything is based off the BCLK and a multi. No weird RAM:FSB ratios and quad-pumped stuff.

And the best part is the elimination of the latency inherent in the FSB.

QPI. LIke Jason said, its a bit easier to work with as far as the overclocking.

You cant setup a poll b/c you are not a senior level or higher (why is that a rule? Why do I have to ask anyone to create a poll?).

Is this a little miss leading? QPI really is only part of the 1366 architecture (server side and high end desktop side). Blck is the term I think you might be refering too.

For me, ditch the FSB. The new method is much better imo. All onboard the CPU for less latency. The way I see it, its the improved FSB since it still controls how fast the CPU goes along with the multiplier.

I like how the QPI is set up. Its fairly clean and pretty easy to work with. The bus and multi numbers are like what P4s used to be, so they aren't that hard to deal with.

option 3 DMI buss...

QPI main strong suite is high speed intercommunication to other cpus on the same board. DMI buss vs QPI in single cpu motherboards, so far looks like they are about even. though DMI buss is suppose to be slower from what i last read. my 3 p55 boards will be here later this week, then im going to SPEND ALL WEEKEND messing with them! :drool:

QPI is worlds faster then FSB, it is going to be quite a while before QPI gets saturated by a desktop cpu/gpu.
On the other hand, FSB is very easily saturated by a quad core, look at memory benchmarks based on FSB, the scores just keep going up even with the same ram speed.

DMI is in between the two, not saturated yet, but it will be eventually.

Is this a little miss leading? QPI really is only part of the 1366 architecture (server side and high end desktop side). Blck is the term I think you might be refering too.

For me, ditch the FSB. The new method is much better imo. All onboard the CPU for less latency. The way I see it, its the improved FSB since it still controls how fast the CPU goes along with the multiplier.

Yeah, I read the OP as "BCLK vs FSB". I interpreted it as how we like OCing the 2 different systems....not on the performance of the 2 systems.

Yes, I'm more used to FSB (never used BCLK), but I like the way everything is based on the BLCK and a multi in i5/i7. From what I've read on i5/i7 OCing I just wish there were more multis available (QPI, RAM, uncore) so that it would be possible to do more fine-tuning, and I also wish there wasn't a BCLK upper-limit.

Back