• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Service Net is yanking me around.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
My 37" Westinghouse LCD is and has been giving me problems. I bought it on the egg 2-22-2007 and paid $179.00 for a 3 year service warrenty. The first one developed a pink screen within the 1st year which rendered it unusable. I shipped it back to Westinghouse theu newegg RMA and recieved a brand new 37" Westy. All was good for a little while. The LCD screen began to drip image wise. Like a black smear right in the middle of the screen. Its hard to get a pic of it. Also, the HDMI port works about half the time. When I select the HDMI it goes to a black screen (1/2 the time) with no picture what so ever.

I started my claim 2 weeks ago thru Service Net (the $179.00 3 year newegg warrenty) and have been give the run around for 2 weeks. They contacted a service rep hyere on the West coast who then declined. They actually called me and said Westinghouse has a recall on my LCD monitor. I then call Westinghouse and they said they have no such recalls. WTH?

I call Service Net back and inform them aboput this. Service Net then informs me that the service provider declined to service my 37" Westinghouse LCD TV. They are still attempting to locate a different service provider.

Right now I'm kinda ticked! Why does it have to be this hard??? I am starting this thread out of agrivation and hope that I can get some help here.

I love newegg but do not have any love for thier 3rd party warrenty service called Service Net.

The only option I see for them is to;
1) Replace my TV with a comparable unit.
2) Cash me out for the original retail amount.

This is in the 3yr contract that I paid $179.00 for in 2007.

That's the problem with extended warranty. They see it as a money maker selling piece of paper for $50 and then know that about 99% of the time no one would ever come to claim the warranty repair or replacement. It's that 1% they want to avoid paying out to repair or replace.

If you paid with your CC back then and the provider still gives you the run around, get in touch with them and see if the CC can pressure someone to fess up and get your display fixed. If push came to a shove, you should get a partial refund.

Egg is not at fault here since they don't actually provide warranty service but they should check into this and if necessary switch to a different provider.

It sounds like the service contract company does just that and has no actual repair facilities themself, they just contract that out. For whatever reason the first repair company wouldn't repair it, which is obviously not cool but not necessarily the service contract company's doing unless they were sleazy and decided it would cost them too much. That may very well be the case and they are shopping around for cheaper service. You've already given it some time but allow some more.

What I'd do in the mean time is document all of this (no the forums don't count :p) and get as much in writing as possible. Send them a letter too documenting everything up to this point. Phone cals don't always mean much but often people pay attention to letters. Don't be threatening - yet ;) - but don't let it slide too much because once Feb 2010 rolls around the service contract is up.

Oh, and when you get a replacement sell it, it sounds like a shoddy piece of gear.

Update,... I received a call from a Service Net on Thur. telling that they were still working on my claim and attempting to find a service rep in my area. On Fri. I receive a call from a local-ish service and we schedule a in-home service call for this Monday. They have to drive 26 miles one way to come out to my house. 2 weeks + now. If the Westy 37" was my main display I'd be more irritated than I currently am.

Service Net told me on Fri. that they cannot make a choice on wether they replace my LCD with a comparable unit or just cash me out. I understand that but would really like faster service than a 2+ week runaround.

BTW, they denied my claim and said it was screen burn-in and that contituted as "physical damage" which they do not cover. I will never buy newegg advanced insurance again.

I went to Costco last Fri. and bought a 37" Vizio 120z LCD for $600 and noticed a HUGHE difference in everything.

Wow that's terrible. I'd be going all out getting them in trouble any way I could and trying whatever I could to get the money back. Are you going to get the TV back?

Wow that's terrible. I'd be going all out getting them in trouble any way I could and trying whatever I could to get the money back. Are you going to get the TV back?

I never sent it off. It is boxed up in the original retail box in my garage. I wonder if I should call newegg?

PM sent to Newegg REP. Hopefully this will be resolved.

I never sent it off. It is boxed up in the original retail box in my garage. I wonder if I should call newegg?

Wow so they made this determination without ever seeing the TV?? That's utter b.s. I'd at least contact the BBB and if you really want to turn some screws your state's attorney general.

Sorry to hear about this, and thanks for the warning.

BTW, COSTCO FTW!! I'm happy to pay a bit more to know I can return/exchange electronics in 90 days if something is messed up- even a stuck pixel. In addition, they have their own 2 year warranty on top of the manufacturer's warranty. Never used it, but knowing Costco is behind it, and that it's free, makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

screen burn in on an lcd? physical damage?

Pay the out of warranty fee, westinghouse is charging. Get there assessment and then take it to court.

When a company goes from a privately funded venture to a company that answers to share holders, they have a choice of pleasing one of two types of people

1 - Customers
2 Share Holders

Guess which has more influence with Newegg now.

Uh, Newegg is not a public company yet and while the warranty was purchased through Newegg it's not serviced by Newegg at all. As krag said
3rd party warrenty service called Service Net
so Newegg isn't doing anything bad themselves here so you can't put the blame on them - it's not like Newegg denied the service. They ought to know about the poor service of the warranty company though.

Well, the Newegg rep from here has replied to my PM already. I just now sent off a detailed e-mail to him and am waiting to hear back.

Do keep us appraised of this. It does suck when "insurance" companies tried to avoid paying for anything. It pretty much reinforce the belief that any extended warranty insurance are still scam. 99% of items never need repair, and when that 1% does break the company would drag their feet and try to prove the issue is not covered at all.

Well, the Newegg rep from here has replied to my PM already. I just now sent off a detailed e-mail to him and am waiting to hear back.

Any updates? Krag, don't be a fool (no offense) and let them get away with this. I've never ever given up with BS from any company... and I don't ever plan to. That's what they want to do is get you to lose interest, but come on man this isn't just something under warranty... this is a service plan you paid $179 for. At the very least (though I still say don't opt for this), you should get your service plan money back for them not giving you what you paid for!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, well, I was denied. By service net and then by newegg. The service rep that was sent out by servicenet wrote in his report that I had a verticle line from an open word doc that created burn in & the balck smudges were from my "attempts" to rub it out.

Holy smoking pig mess. I guess none of thier service reps have ever heard of a screen saver? And to top it off, I use Monster Screen Cleaner on my 52" LCD and my beloved 37" Westy along with the replacement 37" Vizio 120Hz. I am not one to miss-treat my goods.

Wow that sucks. Are you going to keep pursuing this? I guess service net plans arent worth the money.

Back