• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor Video Quality on Windows 7 X64 RTM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Have you guys noticed the poor video quality in Wondows 7? On XP the same videos are crisp & clear but on W7 I noticed more jagged edges & general lack of clarity with the same video. Any improvements that can be done that you guys know of? VLC shows the worse video quality than WMP.

I've been watching plenty of 720p video on my Windows 7 build and it looks the same as it does on my Linux build. Not noticing any issue. No special codec packs or anything installed. Just using VLC.

Its a known issue with W7 X64, hardware configuration that affects it is comepletely random. Bright colours show alot of pixelation & fast movement makes it come out as well,it looks like bad interlacing sometimes & lack of pixel smoothing for lack of a better term.

Bump for the same issue. I've posted on many forums about it and there's still no answer to date. It's incredible this type of widespread issue (although quite random at this point) has yet to even be slightly addressed by any sort of fix.

I've notice the same problem with my tv turner program (TotalMedia) when install on windows 7 from vista x64. At default vista looks real smooth quailty wise but on windows 7 it started to look like it all pixelated or something. I think it's more on the incompatibilties with certain software players and windows 7.

Here's how I fixed my problem:I right click on properties for that particular program and choose the compatibility tab. Under setting, select "disable desktop composition".
Just click ok to exit.

After selecting that for me the video quailty came out nice and smooth just like it was on Vista. Again I'm not sure if this will fix any of you guys problem but figure it wouldn't hurt to just try it. Thought I'd share this since it hasn't been brought out yet. Good luck and hope this can help solve some issues about Windows 7.

Edit: Earlier I mention to select "disable visual theme", I'm sorry I actually mean to select the one below it which is "disable desktop composition"

Last edited:
In control panel....power options.....multimedia settings...there are options such as "optimize video quality" and "optimize power savings". Would that have anything to do with it?

As some of you guys have already found out, its an issue with the video card drivers & the OS affecting Direct3D rendering according to the VLC developer. VLC_1.03 has addressed majority of this issue but interlacing is still below par. A force shift to OpenGL was the work around if you wanted to keep the Aero interface.

Back